YODER FAMILY INFORMATION--CYBERSPACE EDITION-2000
published by the Yoder Family Newsletter, Goshen, Indiana
BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY
(Yoder Newsletter Note --Nathan D. is OH132811)
Yoder, Nathan D., proprietor of the "Grand View" farm, near Hegins. was born in Eldred township, Schuylkill county, Sept. 4. 1842. He is a son of William and Briggitta (DeLong) Yoder, both natives of Pennsylvania-the father of Schuvlkill and the mother of Berks county. George Yoder, the grandfather of Nathan,and his brother. Abraham, were the first of the name to settle in Schuylkill county, locating in what is now Eldred township. where they secured large tracts of land and engaged in farming. Abraham also built a saw and grist mill, one of the first in the county, and this mill is still standing. George Yoder married Elizabeth Reiner of Berks county, and they had six children- Mary, Sallie, Hattie, Elizabeth, William, and Charles-all now deceased. William Yoder was a carpenter by trade, as well as a farmer. He also taught school for a while and was an active worker for the temperance cause. he was interested in music, was a good singer and a fine performer on the clarinet. When the old Lutheran church was built in Eldred township he was one of the contributors and always took a great interest in its work. In politics he was a Democrat of the old school, though he was never a seeker for office. He was a poet of considerable ability. He died at the age of forty-five years and his widow, who lived with her son Nathan during the last twenty-four years of her life, died at the age of seventy -eight. They had five children. Mary Jane married George Helper, and is now dead, and the the others are living at Hegins, where Enos D. is a watchmaker and jeweler; Lewis D. is a. wheelwright, and William D. is a painter. Nathan D. Yoder, was educated in the local schools and at Freeburg academy, after which he began teaching. His first term was at Helfenstein, his second at home, and he then taught six terms at Fountain. He then moved to Hegins and has taught in all twenty-four terms. In 1865 he bought sixty-five acres of land in Hegins township and commenced farming. In 1888 he bought the farm of 112 acres, known as the Wagner place, some of which he has sold off as lots in the village of Hegins. He devotes considerable attention to fruit and stock growing, though he raises all kinds of grain, ,and also owns and operates a saw mill. His farm is one of the best improved in the township, and shows evidence of the intelligence and industry employed in its manage- ment. Jan. 29, 1864, Mr. Yoder was married to Miss Mary, daugh- ter of Jacob and Hannah (Maurer) Hepler, of Eldred township, and they have had the following children: Oliver H., a teacher, married Lillie Jones and their children are Howard, Clarence, Nel- son, Irene, Dorothy and Alice; Hannah died in childhood; Jennie is the wife of Walter Till, of Philadelphia, and has one daughter, Mildred; Ida who is the wife ,of Albert Strausser, who is in the asylum, a disabled engineer, has one son, Albert, and lives with her father, following the occupation of dressmaker; Mima taught for a time and is now the wife of Rev. E. S. Faust, a minister of the Reformed church, at St. Thomas, Pa., with one son, Lawrence Y.; William F. taught for several years, graduated at the state normal school in West .Chester, and is now attending Franklin and Marshall college, at Lancaster; Alvina is at home with her parents; Emma also is at home; Clara died at the age of twenty-two years; Jacob H. is attending school at West Chester preparing for college; Lu- ella is teaching at Reinerton; and Daisy is deceased. Mr. Yoder is a Republican and was for ten years a justice of the peace. He belongs to Hegins Lodge, No.726, Independent Order of Odd Fel- lows, of which he was secretary for thirty years, and served four terms as district deputy grand master. He and family are members of the United Evangelical church. He is a friend of popular educa- tion and is a careful reader of scientific agriculture as well as Chris- tianity and political subjects.
BIOGRAPHY AND HISTORY OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY
WILLIAM L. YODER, cashier of Mahanoy City First National bank, who is prominently identified with the business intersts of the city, is a son of Daniel and Mary (LaRosa) Yoder. He was born in Orwigsburg, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, March 19, 1830. His ancestors were natives of Berks county, Pennsylvania, where his paternal grandfather, Peter Yoder, lived died. Peter was a farmer, merchant and hotel keeper combined, and through thrift and industry acquired quite a comfortable compentency. He was father of eight children: Hannah, eife of Abraham Mensh; Esther, married to Daniel Focht; Benjamin, deceased; Daniel, father of the subject; Elizabeth, wife of Abram Strohm, George, Sarah and Mary.
Daniel Yoder (father) was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, Oley township, July 15, 1789, and removed to a place near Orwigsburg, Schuyikill county, in the year 1825. In 1850 he went to Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and died there December 3, 1871. Me was a tanner by trade, and prior to his removal to Orwigsburg gave his entire attention to the business, acting in the capacity of manager for his father. Subsequently he engaged in building boats at Orwigsburg for the Schuylkill canal, and later, undertook the manufacture of of pumps, in connection with which he became a contractor for laying water-pipes. He was a man of considerable energy and a respected citizen of the different places in which he lived. Together with his wife, he held membership in the Evangelical church while in politics he cast his ballot with the Whig and Republican parties in the order of their existence. In church work he was in deep synipathy and devoted much time and strength to furthering its interests. His marriage occurred on February 22, 1815,and resulted in thc birth of seven children: Eliza, Caroline, Mary-, Charles, Joseph I., William L., and James; all deceased, with the exception of of James, Eliza and subject. William L Yoder was joined in matrimony with Anna Wooley, a daughter of George and Sarah (Roberts) Wooley of England, but recently of Pottsville, on April 24,1855. To this union four children have heen born, three of whom are still living: Howard W., married to Anna Kenney of Philadelphia, and now residing in New Castle, Virginia, where he is cashier of the First Natioiial bank; Clara A., wife of Charles A. Stine, Jr., of Norristown, Pennsylvania, in the plate glass business with Heroy & Co.; Emily F., at home.
Mr. Yoder received his education in the Orwigsburg academy, and upon leaving school began life as a clerk in Pottsville, which continued be his occupation for sixteen years. In 1860 he was employed as receiver of taxes for the borough of Pottsville, and in 1862 was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue for the tenth district, composed of the counties of Schuylkill and Lebanon. He served in this capacity for two years under James A. Innes, collector of that district In December, 1864, he was appointed cashier of the First National bank of Mahanoy City, and down to the present time has heldthat position, having removed to that city at the beginning of his appointment. Mr. Yoder was one of the organizers of the Mahanoy City Gas company, and has been treasurer of it since its inception in 1872. He is also treasurer of the Light, Heat and Power company of the same city, organized in February of 1888. Besides these he has interested himself in the Union Saving Fund, of which he was treasurer and director, and the Serial Building and Loan association. For a number of years Mr. Yoder served on the school board in various capacities, and exhibited an unusual degree of interest in the educational conditions of the city.
He is a member of various fraternal organizations, among which
are the following: Mahanoy City Lodge, No.357, F. and A. M., of
which he is past master, and is now treasurer of both blue lodge
and chapter; Mizpah Chapter, No.252, R. A. M.; Girard Lodge, No.52,1.0.0.
F., of Pottsville, of which he is Past Grand. Mr. Yoder took a
prominent part in the establishment of the Methodist Episcopal
church in Mahanoy City, and has been one of its most influential
workers, and is a member of the Building committee for the erection
of new church now in progress. He has been superintendent of the
Sunday school of that body for sixteen years, and in all his relations
as citizen, business man or churchman, enjoys a merited respect