Return to CONTENTS

YODER FAMILY INFORMATION

Listserver Archived Files - 1996

Maiser@rmgate.pop.indiana.edu

Thanks to Virginia Severns <v-sev@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> for the following:
- - - - - -
I am sending an obituary that was in the Champaign-Urbana News Gazette,
of Champaign, Illinois, yesterday, December 18, 1996. It is for Andrew
YODER of Arthur, Illinois.Andrew D. Yoder, 72, of Arthur died at 1:45 a.m.
Tuesday (Dec.17, 1996) at home. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m.
Friday at Arthur Mennonite Church, Arthur. The Rev. Phil Schrock and
the Rev. Bill Keep will officiate. Burial will be in Arthur Cemetery, Arthur.

Mr. Yoder was born Jan. 20, 1924, at Arthur, a son of David Y. And
Mattie Schrock Yoder. He married Mary Alice Herschberger on June 1,
1947, at Middlebury, Ind. She survives.

Also surviving are two sons, Dave Yoder of Goshen, Ind. And Ron
Yoder of Elkhart, Ind.; three daughters Alma Helmuth of Shipshewana,
Ind., Edna Rafferty of Arthur and Sharon Stuart of Sullivan; two
brothers, Jonas D. Yoder of Arthur and Enos D. Yoder of Goshen, Ind.; a
sister, Lydia Stutzman of Arthur; 11 grandchildren; three
step-grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and six
step-great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and four
sisters.

Mr. Yoder was employed FR Mast Concrete, Arthur, and was a member
of Arthur Mennonite Church.

====

A previously unseen version of notes by turn of the century North
Carolina Yoder researcher George Yoder has resolved some missing links!
The notes included comments based on 1890s vintage correspondence with
Yoder lines in Pennsylvania. These notes:1) Establish firmly that Jacob
"Yoders" of the SW Pennsylvania Yoders family was the son of Melchior
(see Yoder Newsletter 24) and reconfirm that William Yoder of Carroll
Co,OH was Jacob's oldest son; 2) Establish that Charles T. Yoder (see YNL
18) was from the Oley line and where he fits (OY42411); and 3) seems to
identify George Yoder of Venango Co.,Pa as being OY426.--See the April
YNL issue for more details on these revelations!- Chris Yoder, Editor

=============
From: Donald Kauffman <dkauffma@planet.eon.net>
Subject: Three ways!
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:20:48 -0700

I am my own sixth cousin!
Not only that but I descend in three ways from the original immigrant Yoders!
Can anyone top this?

YR23 - Christian Yoder - YR23
YR233 - from 1st wife - YR236 Yost, wife(2) Barbara Hooley
YR2337 ----------------- YR2364 Magdalena marries David Lehman (Yoder name gone)
YR23374 ---------------- YR23644
YR233746 --------------- YR236442 Magdalena Lehman marries Elias Kauffman
YR2337465 Katie Yoder marries Joeseph E Kauffman (Yoder name gone)
-------------- YR2364424 Joseph E Kauffman
(So Joeseph Kauffman and Katie Yoder were half fourth cousins)
YR23374654 --->my Dad<-- YR23644244
YR233746543 --> ME <---- YR236442443

So, I'm my own sixth cousin, sort of! 9 generations away from the original
immigrant. But, there's more ...

YRB - YOST YODER
YRB8 - Magdalena marries John Blank (Yoder name gone)
YRB82 - Rebecca marries Jacob Kauffman
YRB82e - Elias Kauffman, who marries Magdalena Lehman
YRB82e4 - Joseph E Kauffman - my grandpa
YRB28e44 - my Dad
YRB28e443 - me

So there it is - three ways that I am a Yoder. Can anyone top this, or is
this my one claim to fame?

--"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." A.
Einstein

============

Judy Gurka wrote:

> I recently got Tuttle's catalogue #15, on genealogy and local history,
> and saw these two books that might be of interest to someone on the
> list. And maybe someone (Chris?) can identify which line they are in.
>
> Email me for ordering details, if you are interested.
>
> Judy Bortz Gurka
> gurka@cs.colorado.edu

> 3821 [item #]. YODER, Michael. 1799-1878. His roots, By R. M. Yoder,
> 236 pp., 1981, $12.00.
>
> 3822. YOTHERS, Descendents of Jacob, Bucks County, Pa., R. J. Yothers,
> 211 pp. 1984, $35.00.

3821. Is subtitled "His roots and his 'froots'"--it is by the late
Raymond Mark Yoder of Goshen. Michael (1799-1879) is YR1626..born in
Mifflin Co., Pa and died in Elkhart Co.,IN. A Nicely done 8 1/2 by 11
paperback which includes an excellent write-up on Jacob (YR162) by Dr.
Paton Yoder.

3822. Is a wonderfully done hardback by the late Richard J. Yothers.
This Yothers line has an annual reunion and has been frequently mentioned
in the YNL. Jacob Yothers is (YB21) (ca1742-1828) from the Mennonite
Yoder line.

Hope this helps--Chris Yoder, YNL
===================

Good morning and welcome

I am the listowner here, and my job is to help. If you EVER have any questions
or problems, just let me know. I always pick up mail first thing in the
morning. :)

Who are my Yoder connections? Actually I have two of them. My most recent
link is Christina YODER b. 11 JUL 1823 d. 21 FEB 1892 m. 22 FEB 1849
Christian SUMMERS b. 26 DEC 1824 d. 08 JAN 1878. When following Christian's
ancestry back, Sarah YODER shows up. Sarah YODER b. 07 SEP 1765 d. 07
NOV 1836 m. Peter SUMMER b. 27 JAN 1761 d. 19 AUG 1836. Sarah is the
daughter of "Strong" Jacob YODER, while Christina is his granddaughter.

One of our family tales was that Christina came to Ohio in a covered wagon.
On the trip she wore a bag containing gold coins under her dress. (We still
have
the bag, pouch whatever it would be called.) They also brought crocks of
apple butter, one of which contained more gold coins. These crocks sat in
the yard for several weeks after arriving in Holmes Co. Indians would come
to the house to buy milk.

In the Yoder archives, a mention is made about Christina's father and the
Beiler's moving to Ohio in two covered wagons in two weeks. I have
wondered since if Christian and Christina travelled with her parents, or
if they travelled at a different time.

ginseng@cannet.com
ginseng@tccbbs.com

=================
The most recent edition of the "Burger-Post der Bergergememeinde
Steffisburg" mentions how members of the Joder family from
Steffisburg have been in the United States for over 200 years. It
goes on to mention the Yoder Newsletter and names one of our local
Swiss subscribers.--Chris Yoder, Editor
Yoder Happenings On this Date-On Dec. 12, 1785 Abraham Yoder (OH1325)
was born to George Yoder and Mary Weidener. Abraham married
Elizabeth Yerger (4/27/1790-9/8/1875) and he died 6/5/1864. Both are
buried at the Hill Church Cemetery, Pike Twp., PA.
===========

On this Day in Yoder History:

Abraham Yoder (YR2333), a son of Bishop Christian Yoder Sr. of the Glades, was born
Dec. 20, 1782 in Somerset County, PA. In 1800 he married Christina Kauffman, and in 1813
became one of the early settlers in Holmes County,OH. Abraham's grandson through son
Yost was Samuel S. Yoder..the first (and so far only) Yoder member of Congress.
Abraham's signatuure can be seen in the YNL 23 article about the estate settlements for
his father and mother. Abraham and his wife appear to be buried in the cemetery on the
Alvin I. Yoder farm 1 and 1/4 mile east and 1/2 mile south of Saltillo, OH.
=========
>From: snyder@skyenet.net (Snyder)
>Hello, all and Merry Christmas,
>I hope everyone is not offline for the holidays.
>My husband Yoder connection is Barbara Yoder b. July 10 1785 who married
>Peter P. Miller (No 7037 p. 491 Barbara Hochstetler and Christian Stutzman
>book- 4235? DJH) b. Apr 15, 1783. I would like to know more.

For this Barbara refer to YR2343--daughter of Jacob Yoder and Elizabeth Yoder
(YRB2)- so a double Yoder at that point.

>>Dec. 23rd seems to have been a popular date for marriages!
>
>I notice a lot of Dec 23, and 26-31 marriages in my family also.

Can anyone tell us why this might be so? In the present day this may have
been for some tax related reasons....but in the last century???

>Clarice Jane Snyder <snyder@skyenet.net> wife of
>William Alan Snyder multiple descendant of (Indian) John Miller and Jacob
>Hochstetler. also Beachy & Stutzman.

Good To Hear from You and Merry Christmas Back!- Chris Yoder
========

On This Day In Yoder History:

Peter Yoder (1773 P-1849) died in Logan Co, OH cause "unknown". Peter, a
son of Amish Immigrant Yost Yoder, had a farm near Weilersville, Green
Twp, Wayne Co, OH which he sold Mar. 6, 1840 to Daniel Hoover. The barn
still has a stone in its foundation carved "Peter and Charity Yoder,
1830". Peter's first wife Veronica Kauffman died in 1817. He and second
wife Charity Kenegy are both buried in the Hostetler Cemetery, Logan Co,
OH. They are recorded to have had 14 children who lived to adulthood.
======

On this Day in Yoder History:

Dec. 17, 1837 Rosanna McGonegal was born to Irish Catholic parents.After
the death of her mother, she was cared for and raised by Elizabeth
Yoder, who first married Christian Kauffman and later Bishop Shem
Yoder. Rosanna married Christian Yoder (YR26731) in Mifflin County, Pa.
Her youngest son, Joseph Warren Yoder, wrote the classic "Rosanna of the
Amish" based on her life.

=========

Glad to see a Yoder list going!

Chris - I was intrigued by an earlier mention (not on the list) that
you made about a line in which Yoder was changed to Doyer. Can you
tell us the full story?

My Yoder connection is Pa. Dutch, the Oley Yost (OY) line:

Mary Ann YODER, 1838-1860, dau. of Johannes & Magdalena (BREYFOGEL)
mar. (1856) David BERG/BERK, son. of Charles and Catharine J.
(David mar. (2) Margaret (?) RAPP)
dau. Sarah Anne BERG (b. 1858)
mar. Heinrich BORTZ (b. 1863)

Anyone working on Berg/Berk, Rapp, or Bortz? I am starting a one-name
study on Bortz, and will be happy to receive any data, or look for your
Bortz connection.

Judy Bortz Gurka
gurka@cs.colorado.edu
============
On Dec.13, 1790-- Christian C. Yoder (YR2337) was born in Somerset County, Pa. Christian
C. Yoder succeeded his father as Bishop of the Glades Congregation in Northern Somerset
County. Efforts to restore his Cemetery were tracked in the YNL and the results
highlighted in YNL 17.
To correct a point of historical error, his father-in-law Abraham Miller is shown in
"Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies" as "d. c1821" in Somerset County----a letter by
Christian C. writen to Christian Zug of Belleville,Pa on Aug. 11, 1841 says "my
father-in-law Abraham Miller is so blind that he can no longer eat alone even if it is
placed on the table in front of him."--Chris Yoder, YNL
=========

On this day in Yoder History, Dec. 22, 1820, in Union County,PA. a letter
of Administration was granted for the estate of Melchior Yoder to his son
Peter Yoder of Harley Twp. Melchior's is one of the least well documented
of our Yoder immigrant lines. While we have recently achieved some
significant break-throughs, there is a long way to go before we've worked
out his descent.

======

Dec. 23rd seems to have been a popular date for marriages!

On this day in 1788, Johannes Yoder (OY43) married Phronica Emmerich at
Schwartzwald Church, Exeter Twp, Berks Co., PA.

In 1822 Aaron Yoder (AY) married Hannah Fotzinger in Clark Co., OH.
(Aaron is one of our missing links, but we have some ideas about where he
may have originated and will someday present these in the YNL).

In 1822 a Double Yoder (Joder) marriage occurred in Danjoutin, France
when Christian Joder (YA3- see YNL 28) married Marie Joder.
======

From:
Judy Gurka <gurka@tigger.cs.colorado.edu>

I'm a bit slow answering this ...

From: Chris Yoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: On This Day In Yoder History
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 05:18:52 -0800

On this day in 1788, Johannes Yoder (OY43) married Phronica Emmerich at
Schwartzwald Church, Exeter Twp, Berks Co., PA.

I am descended from Johannes' and Phronica's son John/Johannes (b. 1794),
who married Magdalena BREYFOGEL. Anyone working on the EMMERICHs or
Breyfogels of Berks Co.?

Judy BORTZ Gurka
=========

From: <DJLWells@aol.com>

Subject: Yoder archives

Thank you so much for the work you have done. I was searching for
information on Albert Yoder (June 23, 1856 - September 12, 1915) who married
my great-great aunt Margaret Frye (1873 -1963). I found them in Court-Area
Index #1, Northumberland County. She is listed as Maggie Fry. I found no
other reference to them in your arachives, but thought you might be
interested to know that they are buried together with their son Albert G.
Yoder (1900-1971) in the Mt. Carmel PA (Protestant) cemetery.

Again, thank you for sharing the results of your work.

Denise Wells
Researching Bender, Ramer, Kramer, Wetzel, Frye, Betz families in PA
===

Judy Gurka wrote:

> Chris - I was intrigued by an earlier mention (not on the list) that
> you made about a line in which Yoder was changed to Doyer. Can you
> tell us the full story?
>
> Judy Bortz Gurka
> gurka@cs.colorado.edu------------------------------------------------------------
-------------
Without violating the privacy of any living individuals, I'll give you a
general summary, as told by the brother of the fellow who had
changed his name.

Seems that a number of years ago, this gentleman had a major
disagreement/split with his father...to cement the separation in a very
visible way, he had his last name legally changed from Y-O-D-E-R to
D-O-Y-E-R. He and his descendants live in a Western State
and retain the spelling to this day.--Chris Yoder, Editor YNL
======

On This Day In Yoder History:

Emanuel Yoder, grandson of Conrad Yoder of North Carolina by son Jacob,
died in Floyd County, Iowa at the age of 97. Emanuel and his wife Rachel
Shirley (married in Henry Co,IN Sept.23, 1832) are both buried in the
Rock Creek Cemetery, Nora Springs, Iowa.
======

On this Day in Yoder History, 150 years ago-

Christian ("Butcher Christ") Yoder (YR268) died in Mifflin County, Pa. at
68 years of age. He had been born 5/7/1778 in Lancaster County,Pa to Yost
Yoder and Mary Siever. His 1809 record of his father's family plays a
major role in sorting out the first immigrant generation of The Amish
Yoders...see YNL 2 page 6.
=====
=======
From: Donna Warner <drw13@atl.mindspring.com>
To: "Yoder family genealogy list" <YODER@rmgate.pop.indiana.edu>
Subject: Nancy Yoder (1812-1882)

My gr-gr grandmother Nancy Yoder (b 1812 PA, d 1882 Wayne Co OH, m Amos
Holdeman) was the daughter of John Yoder & Anna Kauffman, according to Edwin
Weaver in Holdeman Descendants. This Yoder-Kauffman family was Mennonite,
not Amish. (Hans-John-Abraham m Maria Sell-John-Nancy.) Can anyone
identify Anna Kauffman's parents? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. Donna
====

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 06:21:02 -0600
From: John Yoder <yoderj@wing.safb.af.mil>
Subject: Dec.18, 1903 -Reply

Chris: Lets not forget Jacob Ira Yoder, 21-Sep-1873 -- 18-Dec-1963,
(son of James, son of Jacob, son of Jacob, son of Conrad) died in
Greene County, IN and buried near Helmsburg, IN, Lanham Ridge
Cemetery.
Merry Christmas!!
John

============
From: Rod Yoder <ryoder@tusco.net>
To: "Yoder family genealogy list" <YODER@rmgate.pop.indiana.edu>
Subject: SW PA Yoders
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 07:23:27 -0500 (EST)

Hello
My name is Rod Yoder. My greatgrandfather was Samuel Zachariah M2649 (of
the Melchior.doc file) a descendent of Jacob. I have located many of
Samuel's siblings as well as descendents of some of those siblings. I also
have some present day information on the Carroll County Ohio Yoders. I grew
up in Carroll County and unbeknownst to me I had relatives there. I am
friends with two of them and did not think they were related.

I will post the information as I have a chance to assemble it.

Rod Yoder
Ryoder@tusco.net
=======
From: Chris Yoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: A Family Passing
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 09:07:43 -0800

Death Notice Passed By Donald G. Honeywell from among the family of
Jacob Yoders of SW Pennsylvania:

" Glendine Kay Yoders Sprowls (born 31 August 1943), resident of
Time, Morris Township, Greene County, PA died 21 November 1996 at
Washington, PA. She is the daughter of Kenneth Elmer Yoders and Martha
Cleo Clutter. She is survived by both parents and a sister, Donna Faye
Yoders Bennet of Graysville, PA. Her only brother, Kenneth Reed Yoders,
died 5 February 1940. "

Return to CONTENTS

Yoder Newsletter - © Christopher K. Yoder, 1992, 1994