Return to CONTENTS

YODER FAMILY INFORMATION

Listserver Archived Files - 1999

Listserver Files.1999

>From - Mon Jan 04 14:31:21 1999
From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YODER FILE UPDATES

Initial updates have been processed to the Yoder
Homepage ftp directory at:

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/

Major additions include:

Melchior Yoder File Update by Donald Honeywell
Files: M1- etc.

Pa. Mennonite Yoder data thanks to
Herbert Hoover Yoder of Perkasie, Pa:

file: yb-hans.doc

(Other interim changes were processed in December, but
the final verions (which will be used for the html
update) are still being worked on--will keep you posted)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

From: Donna Warner <drw13@atl.mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: My Yoder line

Hi Keith - I am also descended from Abraham Yoder and Maria Sell. Have we
exchanged Sell information. (Sorry to be so late writing to you, but this
has been a tumultuous year. May 1999 be better.) Donna

From: "Sam Detwiler" <samdetwiler@email.msn.com>

Donna, I am a descendant of Abraham and Maria Sell through their dau Anna
who married William Moyer. I'm also a descendant Maria's sister, Susanna
Sell who married Bishop Jacob Nold Sr, who was Abraham Yoder's nephew (a
little convoluted). Bishop Nold came to Columbiana co. Ohio in 1813 on a
preaching tour and returned to settle in 1817. Abraham Yoder's sons Abraham
and Peter and 2 daughters, Anna Moyer and Barbara Landis came to Ohio with
the Nolds.
I would be interested in sharing info on both the Sell and Yoder families.
Many of the descendants of the families mentioned above still live in the
area.
Sam Detwiler
Columbiana, Ohio

From: "Peggy & Alexander Taranenko" <ataran@redshift.com>

Sam, I have been subscribed to the Yoder Listserve for some time now because
I had the idea there was a relationship somehow to the Sells. Do you any
dates on you Abraham Sell? Maybe this is the connection I have been looking
for.
Peggy

From: "Thornton, Lori" <lori.thornton@cincybible.edu>
Subject: John Howard Yoder (1927-1997)

There is an article in volume 25, number 1, spring 1998 of Perspectives in
Religious Studies entitled "John Howard Yoder, One of Our Own (1927-1997)"
written by James Wm. McClendon, Jr. The article is on pp 21-26.

Lori Thornton
Lori.Thornton@cincybible.edu <mailto:Lori.Thornton@cincybible.edu>

From: "ginseng" <ginseng@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Jerry A. Yoder

This was sent to the request address. He has been s*ubscribed to the
list. Send any replies to him jayoder@skyinet.net.
Gin

>Gentleman:
>I would like to subscribe to the "YODER" server mailing list.
>My name is: Jerry Adelbert Yoder.
>I am presently living at: Unit #35, 12 C.Benitez, Horseshoe Village,
>Quezon City, Philippines
>My E-Mail Address is: jayoder@skyinet.net
>My employment is: Assistant to the President, Technical Advisor
> JG Summit Holdings/APO Cement Company
>I am interested in determining more accurately my family heritage. The
following information may be helpful.....
>My father's name was: William Robert Yoder
>All my brothers & sisters were born in Cleveland, Ohio.
>They are, in order of age, Marcia, Wilson, myself, Robert, Dorthea & David.
>My Grandmother's name was: Mary Yoder
>My mother's name was: Henrietta (Hoffman) Yoder.
>There has been a great deal of confusion as to exactly where we are in the
Yoder genealogy. If this information is insufficient to locate us in your
listings of Yoder genealogy, please advise what additional information you
may require and what I need can do to find our location on the family tree.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Homepage Updates

The Yoder Newsletter cyclic Updates have been posted
and are ready for your viewing pleasure!

Download from the ftp files and also view in the html files.
(new ftp files are mostly marked with a 6 Jan 99 date, and the
new html files are marked "updated")

From: KJBruckner@prodigy.com (MRS JUDY BRUCKNER)
Subject: Yoder/ Mast, PA

To Lori and all:
This is what I found in my Hochstetler book based on the family group
you sent on the list Jan 13,1999
I am clear (based on the book) the proper name for your ancestor
Precher John. Hopefully I have given you info you did not already
have.

DJH fam.#9185, Barbara Yoder,b. Switzerland, widow, whose husband d.
at sea on the way to America. she came to Amer. prior to 1727 and
settled in Oley twp., Berks Co., PA with her nine children. She is
among the first Amish settlers in that area.

+1 Yost
+2 John m. Magdalena Mast
+3 Christian, b. Switszerland, d. Berk Co., PA
4 Son, d. young
5 daughter, m Christopher Beiler
6-9 and four other sons, names not given.

GENERATION TWO
Yost Yoder
had a son listed in the Hertzler Genealogy, see fam. number 555 and
257
Jacob m. Catherine BLANK, d/o John and Fanny SMUCKER Blank

John and Magdalena MAST yoder had the following children

+1. John b, 1754 Berks Co., PA., m. Barbara REICHENBACH (Hertzler fam.
desc. 261, 305, 476,481, and 513)
(Beachy Gen., fam. 7, 8, 13, 17, 52 and 53).

(the rest of the children and information provided by Lori)

2.Magdalena,b. 7-9-1761, PA, m. Christian YODER
3. Jacob, b. 9-28-1763, PA, d. 4-17-1863, m. Catherine BLANK
4. Barbara , bca. 1765, PA, d. 4-1835, PA m. Mosas PEACHY
5. Anna , b. 1770 Berk Co., PA, d. 1830, m. Jacob KAUFFMAN or
STUTZMAN
6. Christian, b. 1774, d. 12-19-1827, m. Barbara HERTZLER
7. Yost "Red Yost", b.ca.1774, PA, d. 1865 Juniata Co., PA m.1
VERONICA YODER; m.2 MARY ZOOK
8. Veronica, b. ca 1779, m. Jonathan HOCHSTETLER

My ancestor is Jacob Hochstetler, m. "frany" Yoder

Lori can you please tell me where you aquired the info about my
ancestor so I can further follow up the family?

Hope I have helped someone.

From: "Thornton, Lori" <lori.thornton@cincybible.edu>
Subject: RE: Yoder/ Mast, PA

Most of my info came from Amish & Amish Mennonite Genealogies and from the
Yoder web site. There is also scattered bits and pieces in various Amish
histories and in regional history books such as the one on Mifflin County,
Pennsylvania. I believe that most of my data came from the first two
sources.

Lori

From: "Charles W. Carey" <cwcarey@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Mifflin County, PA

At 11:06 1/14/99 -0500, Lori wrote:
>Most of my info came from Amish & Amish Mennonite Genealogies and from the
>Yoder web site. There is also scattered bits and pieces in various Amish
>histories and in regional history books such as the one on Mifflin County,
>Pennsylvania. I believe that most of my data came from the first two
>sources.

What Mifflin County history book was this? Where is it available? I'm
interested in checking on some non-Yoder families who were in Mifflin
County in the early 19th Century. Perhaps others have similar interest in
Mifflin County, so I'm posting this to the list.

Thanks!
Chuck Carey
Anaheim, CA

From: "Thornton, Lori" <lori.thornton@cincybible.edu>

The title of the book was Mifflin County Amish and Mennonite Story,
1791-1991. The author is S. Duane Kauffman. Pub info is Belleville, Pa.:
Mifflin County Mennonite Historical Society, 1991. I believe it is out of
print. I have not found it available at their web site or on used bookstore
sites. I obtained a copy to peruse through interlibrary loan. Some
libraries will lend historical materials; others won't. Here is a list of
libraries that supposedly have this item:
Bluffton College, Ohio.
Findlay Public Library, Ohio.
Fresno Pacific University, California.
Three Rivers Library System, Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
Denver Public Library, Colorado.
Allen County Public Library, Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
Mennonite Historical Library, Indiana.
Bethel College Library, Kansas.
New York Public Library, New York.
Altoona Area Public Library, Penn.
Elizabethtown College Library, Penn.
Millersville Univ. Library, Penn.
Central Penn. District Library Center, Penn.
Juniata College Library, Penn.
Historical Society of Penn. Library, Penn.
Penn State University, Penn.
Dallas Public Library, Texas.
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Research Library, Virginia.
Eastern Mennonite University Library, Virginia.
State Library of Wisconsin, Wisc.
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Lori

From: EBURKIE@aol.com
Subject: Magdalena Joder Lichti

Does anyone have family of Christian Joder married to Elisabeth Gunt/Guntz? I
only have my ancestor and their daughter, Magdalena Joder b. 1773 Montbeliard
and married Johannes Lichti. Thank you

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: Magdalena Joder Lichti

EBURKIE@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have family of Christian Joder married to Elisabeth Gunt/Guntz? I
> only have my ancestor and their daughter, Magdalena Joder b. 1773 Montbeliard
> and married Johannes Lichti. Thank you

Here's what we have at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/nonamish/france.html

I show one child for the Christian/Gunt marriage, and then I show
speculation about another listed Christian with a different wife...
I wonder if they may have been the same man with a first wife...

You say you have another recorded child??? who was it?

Chris Y...

"son of Caspar Joder of Steffisberg and Verena
Stauffer"
FB- Christen Joder (2/15/1691 Steffisberg,CH- )
m Anna Maria Klaus
FB1- Veronica (1732- )
FB2- Christian (1732- 1802) m
Elizabeth Gunt ( - )
FB3- Barbara (1734- )

FB2- Christian Joder (1732- 1802) m
Elizabeth Gunt ( - )
FB21- Madeleine (Jun.1773 Montbeliard,F-after 1851
CDN) m 9/29/1793 Friesen,F Johannes Liechty
(6/16/1756 Ste. Marie Mines,F-10/23/1839 CDN)

?(same fellow?)FB2- Christ Joder (1734- ) m
Anne Gerig ( - )
+FB21- Jost (1755- ) m
Barbara Ernst (1756- )
FB22- Barbara (1756 Morvillars,F-4/27/1820
Grandvillars,F) m
Christ Schad (1758-2/13/1814)
+FB23- Jean ( - ) m. *<1788
_______________?

FB21- Jost Joder (1755- ) m
Barbara Ernst (1756- )
+FB211- Jean (1785 Grandvillars,F- ) m.
Marie Klopfenstein (1790 Bourogne,F-3/20/1864
Florimont,F)

FB211- Jean Joder (1785 Grandvillars,F- ) m.
Marie Klopfenstein (1790 Bourogne,F-3/20/1864
Florimont,F)
FB2111- Christ (7/10/1810 Grandvillars,F-7/18/1810
Grandvillars,F)
FB2112- Christ (12/8/1821 Grandvillars,F- )

From: "ginseng" <ginseng@neo.rr.com>

At 03:14 PM 1/14/99 EST, you wrote:
>Does anyone have family of Christian Joder married to Elisabeth
Gunt/Guntz? I
>only have my ancestor and their daughter, Magdalena Joder b. 1773 Montbeliard
>and married Johannes Lichti. Thank you

Both of my Yoder lines are "Strong" Christian Yoder. But I was interested
in hearing about your Lichti lines. Included with my other lines (that came
over later than the Yoders) is a Magdalena Lichty married to Samuel Krebs
from Neiderwichtracht. They only had daughters. The eldest came over in
1831 to Ohio, where my Yoder's had already settled. (They are buried in
the Mast (Schlabaugh) cemetary near Benton-on a plateau in the middle of
a cow pasture. Nicholas Yoder YR1425 and Catherine Kurtz). I know other
Lichti's were in the Winesburg, Holmes Co, Ohio area.

ginseng@neo.rr.com
ginseng@tccbbs.com

From: "ginseng" <ginseng@neo.rr.com>

At 07:53 PM 1/15/99 EST, you wrote:
>My Lichti's settled in Wilmot, Ontario. I checked thru my info and did not
>find anything to match what you are looking for. Nancy Burkard

Thank you for checking :) Didn't know there was a Wilmot, Ontario. There
is a Wilmot here, next door to Winesburg, Ohio.

Gin

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: David Yoder born 1830

WOULD APPRECIATE HELP FROM ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE A CLUE ON THIS.

Reply to: janta@earthlink.net

Here is some information on my David Yoder---

born 1830 either PA or OH, married (1) Elizabeth, (2) Magdelena Kendall,
(3) Mary J. Drake. Lived in Holmes Co., Ohio,(? Logan Co., Ohio), Elkhart
Co., In. Had 5 children by first wife - Anna, Malinda, Sena, John,
Nehemiah. One child from Mary Drake - Grace born in 1883. My grt
grandmother is Anna Yoder married to Richard Alexander Wilson in Elkhart Co,
IN 7/7/1884. I hope this helps, if you need further information, I have
birth years of children and some marriages. Thank for your helps and
comments.
Janet Ruof
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: janta@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: David Yoder born 1830

ChrisYoder wrote:

> WOULD APPRECIATE HELP FROM ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE A CLUE ON THIS.
>
> Reply to: janta@earthlink.net
>
> Here is some information on my David Yoder---
>
> born 1830 either PA or OH, married (1) Elizabeth, (2) Magdelena Kendall,
> (3) Mary J. Drake. Lived in Holmes Co., Ohio,(? Logan Co., Ohio), Elkhart
> Co., In. Had 5 children by first wife - Anna, Malinda, Sena, John,
> Nehemiah. One child from Mary Drake - Grace born in 1883. My grt
> grandmother is Anna Yoder married to Richard Alexander Wilson in Elkhart Co,
> IN 7/7/1884. I hope this helps, if you need further information, I have
> birth years of children and some marriages. Thank for your helps and
> comments.
> Janet Ruof

Chris,
Looks great. Thanks again for your help. I remember about 20 years ago
writing to Salt Lake City requesting help on my David Yoder. The
response I received was so funny. It said with a name as unusual as
"Yoder" I shouldn't have too many problems. I wrote her back and told
her "Yoder" in Indiana and Ohio was like "Smith" in New York. Have a
great weekend.
Janet Ruof
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: KJBruckner@prodigy.com (MRS JUDY BRUCKNER)
Subject: Yoder/Hochstetler PA

Looking for the parents of "Frany" Yoder m. Jonathan, HOCHSTETLER (d.
1805). Sorry I don't have any other dates.
Judy
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: DDickel@aol.com
Subject: Re: Yoder/Hochstetler PA

Don't know if this is the same Jonathan HOCHSTETLER and Frany YODER that Judy
is looking for, but in "Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies" by Gingerich
and Kreider, there is a Jonathan HOCHSTEDLER(d 5/8/1823) married to Veronica
"Frany" YODER(d 12/31/1827).

Their children were
1. Mary 1801-1865
2. Samuel 1802-1879
3. Gabriel 1805-1881
4. Magdalena 1807-1867
5. Anna 1810-1882
6. Elizabeth 1813-1878
7. Emanuel 1816-1880
8. Catherine 1819-1906

Jonathan's parents were John HOCHSTETLER and Catherine HERTZLER.
Frany's parents are more in doubt. Gingerich and Kreider suspect that she was
the daughter of John YODER and Anna (possibily MAST). Another possibility
listed in the footnotes is that she is the daughter of Christian YODER.

Hope this helps.

Dave Dickel

From: KJBruckner@prodigy.com (MRS JUDY BRUCKNER)

Dave:
Yes, this is the line I am connected to through their son Samuel. I
am assuming because you did not list it that you have no date of
birth for "Frany." Thank you for the lead. I will follow up with a
couple references I have on the Hochstetler line. I have The Desc.
of Jacob Hochstetler and the revised book Vol 1 which was released
this year. I do know there is the Herzler and Mast line in the book.

If you or anyone else would like me to look up anything in these
books just let me know.
Many thanks,
Judy

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: John Christian Yoder (1895-1989)

Can anyone identify the following person?:

My connection to the Yoder line begins with John Christian Yoder
(1895-1989) when he married Lulu Henrietta Shaffer. I have record of
only one child, John Landis, who married Gwen Youngworth. Their children
were John William (m. Patricia Conti, children: Melinda Grace & John
Frank), Laura Grace (m. Arthur Leuck, children: Matthew Arthur & Shane
Landis), Thomas Christopher, and Amy Viriginia.

J. Christian & Lulu were buried in Harrisburg, Pa.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Bucks County Mennonite Yoders

Hello. Anyone with connections to this family line I would like to talk to. I
believe that ANNA E. WHO MARRIED MORRIS is our Anna Yoder Freed we were
looking for. Please see info below. Thanks, Babejem@aol.com

YB13942- Joseph Detweiler Yoder (1/6/1855 Bucks Co-d
Silverdale PA) m1 Mary Emma Hunsberger (1858-1876)
m2 Silverdale,Pa.Rebecca E Espenship (12/18/1858-
9/8/1896) m3 Mary Treffinger (5/-/1872-1922)
(Ken Hottle Chart; 1880 Bucks Hilltown;1900 Bucks, Silverdale)
YB139421- Infant (1876-1876)
YB139422- Levi E (b c1879) m Tressie Meyers
YB139423- Henry E (11/-/1882- ) m Caroline Kulp (b1881)
YB139424- Anna E (8/-/1885- ) m Morris Freed
YB139425- Charles E (1/-/1887-1901)
YB139426- Sallie E (8/-/1889- ) m Linford Moyer
YB139427- Franklin E (7/-/1893- ) m Ethel Duncan
YB139428- Howard E (1893-1895)
YB139429- Clayton S (1895-1895)
YB13942a- Leah S (9/-/1898- ) m Wilson Heckler
YB13942b- Joseph S. (1909- )

Harold Yoder Freed
Birth: 8 Jan 1915 PA
Death: 1 Dec 1989 Ogden, Utah
Was in the Military WW

Siblings :
Margie Freed Sims married to Ted Sims
Possibly Margaret,Margarite, husband Theodore.
Montgomery County,PA

Margaret Freed Sims and a Theodore Sims
Found in Social Security index:
Margaret Sims
b. 06-09-1922
d. 10-1992

Theodore Sims
b. 05-10-1905
d. 08-04-1994

Evie Freed Hendricks,
no info on her,
married to
Clarence Hendricks
b. 08-18-1909
d. 09-22-1995

Grace Freed Nungesser
married to
Robert Nungesser

Father :
Morris Freed
b. 12-05-1895
d. 03-1967

Mother
Anna Espenship Yoder Freed

Parents of Morris Freed:

Abraham Freed m. Lizzie Musselman

Children:

Morris Freed m. Anna Espenship Yoder*above*

Allen Freed m. Katie ?

Lizzie Freed m. Charles Young

Mamie Freed m. Charles Bowers

Sallie Freed m. Henry D. ?

Barbara Freed m. Fred Leopold
Mrs Walker <Babejem@aol.com >
Private , pa USA - Thursday, January 21, 1999 at 03:34:43 (PST)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Yoder on TV This Morning

A segment today on "Sunday Morning" covered the decomissioning of the
battleship "Missouri" (the ship where the Japanese surender documents
were signed). It is being anchored at Pearl Harbour as a memorial/museum.

One of the folks involved as a volunteer to spruce her up for display was
introduced as "Larry Yoder"...he had served on her in the Gulf War...

Can any of our readers identify this sailor?

From: "Christopher T. Smithson" <wsmithso@erols.com>
Subject: Burial for Amelia Yoder and husband Mark D. Davis of Berks Co., PA

Amelia Yoder (1837-1904) daughter of Frederick Yoder and Maria Shartle and
her husband, Mark D. Davis (1831-1898) and some of their children and
descendants are buried in Charles Evans Cemetery in Pottstown, Berks Co., PA
in Harry Hottensteins lot.. (Harry was married to Sallie Davis daughter of
Mark and Amelia...

Sincerely,

Christopher Thomas Smithson
Great Great Grandson of Amelia Yoder and Mark D. Davis
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "Guy L. Bierman" <bierhaus@bellatlantic.net>

Christopher T. Smithson wrote:

> Amelia Yoder (1837-1904) daughter of Frederick Yoder and Maria Shartle and
> her husband, Mark D. Davis (1831-1898) and some of their children and
> descendants are buried in Charles Evans Cemetery in Pottstown, Berks Co., PA
> in Harry Hottensteins lot.. (Harry was married to Sallie Davis daughter of
> Mark and Amelia...

Yo Chris, I'm from Pottstown, we have the Pottstown Cemetery here.
Charles Evans Cemetery is in Reading, Berks Co.

--
Guy
bierhaus@bellatlantic.net

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: On This Day in Yoder History- Jan.31

>From Yoder Newsletter Number 14:

ANCIENT INSCRIPTION---Probably by "Schweitzer Christian" Yoder
(1728-1816)

Thanks to David E. Yoder and the translation skills of Leroy Beachy
(Historian and columnist for "The Budget") we are pleased to present the
following inscription which seems likely to have been written by "Schweitzer
Christian" Yoder (Amish immigrant to Berks County, Pennsylvania in 1742, and
1776 settler in "Glades" congregation of Somerset County, PA).

English translation by Leroy Beachy:

"Our brother Menno Simons died in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ
1561 on the 31st of January in Westenfelde and is buried there. So it is from
that - time to the present 1809, the 31st of January, 248 years. But
according to the old time, I think.------Christian Yoder Sr."

This writing was found on a small scrap of paper in an old Martyrs
Mirror which was in Amish hands. The Glades congregation was founded by two
men, one named Yoder and one named Hooley. This Christian was the probable
Yoder in that equation. There is also some speculation that he may have been
an Amish Bishop, although the first Bishop known to have been confirmed in
America (erroneously reported in some histories as being Bishop Mast) was
this Christian's son, Bishop Christian Yoder Sr. (1758-1838) who was
installed in that office in 1785 as the Bishop of the Glades.

"Schweitzer Christian" ("Swiss Christian") (a nickname which appears for this
gentleman in the work Two Centuries of Struggle and Growth, by Stanford G.
Shelter, Herald Press, Scottsdale, PA) has been identified as the probable
purchaser of the Almsbook used in the Northkill Amish congregation of Berks
county. This booklet will be the subject of a future article on the
newsletter.

It is obvious that "Schweitzer Christian" was a leader of his communities,
both in East and West Pennsylvania. Having been born in Europe in the early
part of the 18th century, he was certain to have been well steeped in the
traditions of his Anabaptist heritage. This heritage was particularly
meaningful because of the persecutions and ill treatment which was accorded
to many Anababtists of those times.

The followers of Jacob Amman were a minority, And the Yoders of Steffisburg,
Switzerland appear likely to have been tied closely to Amman by personal and
family as well as theological ties. Leading adherents Christian Blank and
Hans Gerber were married to Yoder girls. They participated in the church
schism and they and their families lived with Amman in Alsace. One of
the Amish bishops mentioned in Germany was a Yost Yoder of Lachem.
"Schweitzer Christian" certainly heard the tales of persecution and the
flight from Switzerland and the conflicts between the Anabaptist leaders.

Leroy Beachy, however, finds the wording of this brief paragraph a highly
revealing reflection of the attitudes of the early Amish church leaders. " I
Liked the expression 'our brother Menno' by Christian Yoder... For an
Amishman to regard Menno as a brother reinforces the fact that the
Amish regarded themselves as 'being Mennonites' rather than as so many
Mennonite historians have 'erroneously told us had 'torn away from the
Mennonites'.''

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Yoder Homepage-Over 4,000 servered!

Since installing a counter on the Yoder Archives Homepage
(on Sep. 16,1998) we have just broken the 4,100 visitor
mark....

If you haven't visited recently, feel free at:

www.yodernewsletter.org

Subject: Re: Yoder on TV This Morning
From: "William A. Yoder" <yoder3@juno.com>

Dear Chris,

You can get info on Larry Yoder through the Bureau of Naval Personnel in
Wash. D.C. If Larry is a retiree, you might find info on him on the
world wide web at www.navy.mil/homepage/bupers. I'm not on internet yet
or would search that for you. Hope this will help

Bill Yoder
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: Jim Huratiak <jhuratiak@p3.net>
Subject: Luella Yoder

There was an obituary in today's (Sat.) Pottsville Republican for Mary
R. Stutsman. She was born in Williamstown, PA on March 11, 1910 to
Edgar and Luella Yoder (OH1328119) Ranck. She passed away on Feb. 7th.

--
Jim H.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YNL 33 In Progress

To all:

The mock-up for the April Yoder Newsletter is in progress...and the pages are
filling up rapidly. If you have an item to submit, please do so ASAP.

Reunion announcements especially welcome.

Chris Yoder

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Christian Yoder (YR23) Cemetery Status

The effort to restore and mark the Old Yoder Cemetery in Somerset County,
Pa (see YNL 32) has reached an important milestone. This is the believed
resting place for "Schweitzer Christian" (YR23) Yoder, and the know
resting place for his son John, who bought the homestead, and his wife
Barbara.

Contributions to this point have made it possible to go ahead and order a
24 x10 inch brass plaque. This is being produced by a firm which
routinely is used by major historical societies, so it will be of high
quality.

We'll need to raise additional funds to pay for the stone on which to
mount it, and for the actual placement at the gravesite. As indicated in
the last YNL, anyone contributing $25 or more will receive a free copy of
"The Reuben Yoder Family and Its Descendants" (he was a great grandson of
YR23, and his own family number is YR2337a). Please send contributions to
"Christian Yoder Cemetery fund-Yoder Newsletter", 203 Lakeshire Rd,
Battle Creek, MI 49015.

Anyone interested in participating in a dedication ceremony, likely to be
scheduled in early to mid summer, please advise.

Best regards....Chris Yoder, Editor YNL
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: People Looking for Living Yoders

Unlike our normal family history queries...the following folk are all
looking for living Yoder..non-relatives...old girl friends, etc..
boy friends...who knows why?

Anyone knowing the people involved, please let them know of the
interest...so they can decide if they want to be contacted...

----Chris Yoder

MISSING YODERS

LOOKING FOR ALEXANDRA YODER!!- I met Alexandra Yoder
in San Francisco, summer 1987. We were together for only two hours
and started writing letters for many years. When she left for
Bloomington university we lost contact. The only thing I know is that
she lived at Crabtree lane, Elkhart, In. I would like to re-establish our
contact.Henno C. Meijerink, Burg. v/d Voort v. Zijplaan 62, 3571 VX,
Utrecht Netherlands, <h.meijerink@organon.oss.akzonobel.nl>

My name is Ferrin Hicks, I live in Lakeland, Florida, and went to
Lakeland Senior High School, class of 1958. Am trying to find a
woman named Susan Yoder. She went to school with me and we were
close friends. We lost touch after school and I would love to find her.
J. Ferrin Hicks, 1046 Cherry Lane, Lakeland, FL 33811-2626, (941)
648-5096 Phone, FHicks7455@aol.com

Looking for John Yoder. We went to school in Cherry Hill NJ. The
last I knew he lived in a house on Rt. 73. I believe that the town was
Berlin. That would also be in NJ. Actually there were 2 schools that
we attended together. The first one was an elementry school which if
I remember correctly was Archway Elementry School. the second was
a high school named The Alternative School. Thank-You so much for
remembering me I greatly appreciate it. My mailing address is:
Bonnie MacKenzie (aka Bonnie Cole);528 E. Imperial Hwy Apt F;
Fullerton, CA, 92835-1120

Looking for MYRA YODER of Charlotte, NC- My name is William
Parnell I am looking for an old friend that I've lost track of. Her
name is Myra Yoder, we were in Harding High school in Charlotte,
N.C. together. I believe she said she and her folks were from
Lincolnton NC--William Parnell, c/o R&T Auto Sales,2626 Wilkinson
Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Yoder Materiel at the Archives of The Mennonite Church, Goshen College

http://www.goshen.edu/mcarchives/

the Mennonite Church

The Historical Committee and Archives holds the official records of the
program boards and agencies of the Mennonite Church, whose headquarters
are in Elkhart, Indiana. The Mennonite Church as an organization dates
back to 1898 when it began holding biennial conferences. The Archives
also holds personal papers from individuals and records from some
inter-Mennonite organizations, such as the Mennonite Central Committee.

Manuscript Collections

Hist Mss. 1 Personal Collections 917 Collections

which include:

Yoder, Abner, 1814-1883 Hist Mss. 1-571SC
Yoder, Andrew J. Hist Mss. 1-196
Yoder, Barbara E. Hist Mss. 1-312SC
Yoder, Christian Z., 1845-1939 Hist Mss. 1-880
Yoder, D. A. Hist Mss. 1-13SC
Yoder, David A., (1883-1980) Hist Mss. 1-314
Yoder, Edward, (1893-1945) Hist Mss. 1-470
Yoder, Edwin J., (1893-1945) Hist Mss. 1-457
Yoder, Gideon G. Hist Mss. 1-316
Yoder, Howard, (1895- ) Hist Mss. 1-495
Yoder, Joash, (1819-????) Hist Mss. 1-237SC
Yoder, Jonathan G. Hist Mss. 1-298
Yoder, John K., (1824-1906) Hist Mss. 1-799
Yoder, John H., (1927-1997) Hist Mss. 1-480
Yoder, Joseph S., (1844-1926) Hist Mss. 1-179SC
Yoder, Leon, (1942-1965) Hist Mss. 1-347SC
Yoder, Lillian Hist Mss. 1-556SC
Yoder, Mahala Hist Mss. 1-12SC
Yoder, Mary Elizabeth Hist Mss. 1-727SC
Yoder, Menno S., (1863-1952), and Levi R., (1877-1969) Hist Mss.
1-591
Yoder, Mrs. Menno W. Yoder, (1882-1900) Hist Mss. 1-633SC
Yoder/Nolt Families Hist Mss. 1-442
Yoder, Paton, Hist Mss. 1-580
Yoder, Paul D., Hist Mss. 1-362SC
Yoder, Perry T., (1883-1960) Hist Mss. 1-349SC
Yoder, Peter, Hist Mss. 1-899
Yoder, Raymond Mark, (1914-1983) Hist Mss. 1-676
Yoder, Rhea, (1898-1992) Hist Mss. 1-882
Yoder, Samuel, Hist Mss. 1-614SC
Yoder, Samuel A., (1906-1970) Hist Mss. 1-407SC
Yoder, Sanford C., (1879-1975) Hist Mss. 1-162
Yoder, Susannah, Hist Mss. 1-266SC
Yoder, Tom, Hist Mss. 1-540
Yoder, Walter E., (1889-1959) Hist Mss. 1-325
Yoder, Willis R., (1909-1986) Hist Mss. 1-822

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: German and Palatine Immigrant Organization Meetings

Info From Donald Honeywell:

Dear Friends:
The annual spring meeting of The Mid-Atlantic Germanic Society
will be held Saturday, 24 April 1999 at Blob's Park, Jessup, Anne Arundel
County, Maryland. The theme will be Hessians and the American
Revolution. For more info and registration contact: Joan Sheviak, 3519
King Arthur Road, Annandale VA 22003-1316; phone 703-560-7144.

The Pennsylvania Chapter of Palatines to America will hold its
spring meeting on the same date as above at Yoder's in New Holland,
Lancaster County, PA . Topics include: cemetery research, German
telephone listings, and immigration. For more info contact Shirley T.
Nystrom, 1404 Stirling Court, Phoenixville PA 19460-4812; phone
610-917-0778, or L. Richard Bushman, 118 North 21st Street, Camp Hill PA
17011; phone 717-737-6853.

All best wishes in Christ,
Don Honeywell, Cub Hill, Baltimore County, Maryland

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Bishop Abner Yoder Birthday

On this day in Yoder History, Bishop Abner Yoder was born in 1814.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Yoders in 1790

Thanks to Donald Honeywell and
Virginia S. Toney

"An excerpt from "A Century of Population Growth:
>From the First Census of the United States to the Twelfth,
1790-1900". Shows that during the first census in 1790,
all 25 YODER or YODDER families in the nation were located
in Pennsylvania, the average family consisting of 5.3 persons,
with a grand total of 133 YODER or YODDER persons.

"It seems that Philadelphia was probably the port of entry
for all of them. This should narrow the search for those
seeking early immigration information."---Don Honeywell

(NOTE FROM YNL---the 1790 NC census shows Conrad Yoder's
widow as "Yother")

From: Chris Yoder <75757.3371@compuserve.com>
Subject: Kanagy Research

Looking for info on Kanagy researchers. any leads or ideas. I am working
on
Catherine Louisa Kanagy who married Job Van Horn in Bucks or Berks county,
PA,
about 1790...

any leads for Swiss genealogy appreciated

Jerrie Van Horn Paschal
jvpaschal@aol.com

From: "Paul Gumpper" <ragtags@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: YNL 33 Is In the Mail!

How can I get a subscription to the YNL? I've seen transcripts of back
issues on the internet and they are wonderful. Thanks, Leah
ragtags@earthlink.net

From: "Donald D. Kauffman" <dkauffma@telusvelocity.net>

> How can I get a subscription to the YNL?

There is an order form available on the website.
http://www.yodernewsletter.org

Cheers.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

Paul Gumpper wrote:

> How can I get a subscription to the YNL? I've seen transcripts of back
> issues on the internet and they are wonderful. Thanks, Leah
> ragtags@earthlink.net

Here are the instructions:

Yoder Newsletter Items and Prices:

Annual Subscription to the YNL- $3 for two issues (April and October)

Hardbound set of Back Issues (1-25)- $25 plus $3 Postage &amp;
Handling.

Back Issues $1 each.

(Order from: Yoder Newsletter, P.O.Box 594, Goshen, IN 46527)

Subscribe to the Yoder Newsletter - paper version - 2 issues per year.
Click here to order

You can also print out a fill-in the blank form at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/subscrib.html

Be sure to say you'd like to start with the April 99 issue,
and our volunteers in Goshen can get one in the mail to you.

(Glad you like the newsletter---we think we give good value..
price hasn't changed since we started in 1983)

Best wishes,

Chris

Subject: Re: Yoders in 1790
From: Agnes B Yount <alby6@juno.com>

On Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:10:39 -0800 ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
writes:
>Thanks to Donald Honeywell and
>Virginia S. Toney
>
>"An excerpt from "A Century of Population Growth:
>>From the First Census of the United States to the Twelfth,
>1790-1900". Shows that during the first census in 1790,
>all 25 YODER or YODDER families in the nation were located
>in Pennsylvania, the average family consisting of 5.3 persons,
>with a grand total of 133 YODER or YODDER persons.
>
>"It seems that Philadelphia was probably the port of entry
>for all of them. This should narrow the search for those
>seeking early immigration information."---Don Honeywell
>
>(NOTE FROM YNL---the 1790 NC census shows Conrad Yoder's
>widow as "Yother")
Note: The published version of the 1790 NC Census has the following
entry:

Catharin Goder, four males 16 and over, 3 males under 16, and 2 females
in the household. I believe this is Conrad Yoder's widow based on the
number of persons in the household and her location in the community.

There are no Yoder, Joder, Jotter, Yotter, Yother, Yetter, etc.
spellings. I have not checked the microfilmed original, so would like to
know if Goder was a transcription error.

Best Regards,
Ray Yount

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Yoder Monument Works of Goshen Identified!!

Thanks to GramBerta@aol.com" <GramBerta@aol.com>

YOU WROTE:

The Yoder Newsletter I received recently has a picture of the YODER
MONUMENT WORKS, Cemetery & Memorials. There is a request for information
on the firm and it's owners. The family I refer to is listed in the
Reuben Yoder Family Ancestry book. My husband's (Richard L. #1314)
Grandfather (Daniel R. Yoder, #13) and his son (LeRoy E. (Toby) Yoder,
#132) owned such a business in Goshen, Indiana, during the 1930s & 40's.
Maybe longer than that.

The picture shown in the YNL was found in Southern California and one of
LeRoy's sons (Daniel, #1322) lived in the Southern California area during
the 1940s to the 1950s. I don't know that theirs is the business
referred to in the picture. I only know that they had such a business in
Goshen during those years.
-----

As the author of the Reuben Yoder Family Ancestry Book, I'm VERY pleased
with the connection you made...I bought this photo over EBay---the on
line auction site...

So you are from Perry and Verna's family!! I remember my Dad (Otho son of
Ray son of Samuel) talking about how "Uncle Dan" owned a car
dealership...but I don't recall anything about the monument company....I
also recall my grandfather Ray having a cousin in California who he
stopped to see once while they were out there on vacation... The only
member of Uncle Dan's generation who I recall meeting was Uncle Levi...he
came to the viewing at my grandfather's funeral....The other Uncle I
recall hearing the most about was Uncle Pete and Aunt Amelia...after
uncle Pete died, I believe my grandparents and the Harry Millers were
about the closest to her among the Yoders.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me....do you know about what year
Toby was a member of the Indiana Public Service Commission?

You may have noticed that we are raising money for the restoration of the
oldest Somerset County Yoder Cemetery...have the brass plaque and now
working on the stone....if you know anyone in your line who'd like a copy
of the Reuben book, they are still available...proceeds will all go to
the cemetery effort.

Very Best regards and thanks so much for writing!!

Chris Yoder
Editor, YNL...Reuben Yoder Book #12413

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YNL 33 Available at FTP Site

The April 1999 issue of the Yoder Newsletter has been uploaded to the ftp
directory at the Yoder Homepage (www.yodergenealogy.org).

See:

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/YNL/

A verison in HTNL will be posted subsequently...

For those not receiving the hardcopy--a summary of content is as follows:

YNL33- April 1999
-----The Melchior Yoder Line--In Ohio, Indiana, and Montana
-----Who was "Schweitzer Christian" Yoder (YR23)
-----George Yoder of Venango County Origin Identified
-----Moses Yoder and Eliza Mullen (YR2393) Canadian Yoder
Cousins
-----D.C. Yoder at Andersonville Prison
-----West Virginia Yoder Update

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YNL33 is now available

YNL33 had been uploaded to the ftp directory...

It is now up on the website as a html document.

Thanks to our Webmaster Donald Kauffman!!

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: BIG VALLEY YODER HOUSE NEEDS PRESERVATION

FROM MABEL V. BRUNK, Goshen, Ind-April 1999:

An original Yoder home still stands in Big Valley, Mifflin County, Pa.
Built by John (YR251) and Barbara Yoder, this probably earliest home of
Amish settlers in Big Valley deserves preservation. A metal porch roof
across the front end has already disappeared. Action is needed to save
the structure before it is either razed or crumbles to ruins. Descendants
of John and Barbara Yoder need to act.

Mennonites interested in Valley history could spearhead an effort to
preserve the house. The Mifflin County Historical Society could accept
this challenge. Descendants of John and Barbara Yoder could be asked to
contribute the costs of purchasing the structure. Current President of
the Historical Society is Paul E. Bender. Interested descendants can
contact him at the Historical Society, P.O. Box 5603, Belleville, Pa
17004, phone 717-935-5574.

John Yoder YR251, "Yotter Hannes" was born in 1754 in Berks Country, Pa
and married Barbara Rickenbach RB31 (AAMG p.500). John and Barbara were
probably the first Amish settlers in the Big Valley (Mifflin County)PA,
coming in the spring of 1791 from Elk Lick Township, Somerset County, PA.
Their son, "Keifer Christ", ancestor of many Big Valley residents, was
born in Somerset County in 1784.

In 1791 John purchased 212 acres of land from Henry Milroy in Armaugh
Township, Mifflin County, Pa, near Milroy. Purchase price was 710 pounds.
Henry Milroy and family reserved the "right to occupy until death one
room and part of another in teh mansion and a weaver shop" and could
harvest the "crop of rye and what is to be sown and the grass now in the
new meadow" (Mifflin County Deed records, A-319, 1792).

John and Barbara's two-story house, northeast of Milroy, had "I and BY
1804" inscribed in the top store. The "I" in German is the same as the
"J" in English. The log barn was probably built by the Yoders. (Ezra
Kanagy, Kanagy Roots and a Branch, 1987, Sugarcreek Oh, p. 23). Newer
siding now covers the logs, but through cracks in the deteriorating barn,
some of the original logs are visible.

John also purchased land in Half Moon Township, Centre County, Pa where
various relatives lived. In 1813 John and Barbara sold their 222 acres
(apparently they had added 10 acres) in Armaugh Township for 2500 pounds
to Jacob Kenagy. John and Barbara moved to WAyne County, Oh where John
died.

In 1984 Bob Close owned the Armaugh Township land, including the house.
The burial plot on the McCoy farm is back of the barn. The farm was
divisde on the west side and in 1984 was owned by Laney McCoy. The deed
to this farm, No. 2, has a clause about the right to lay a lead pipe to
the spring on farm #2. "Bob Close said several years ago an apple tree
blew over and the roots came up, uncovering the lead pipe." (Ezra Kanagy,
p.23)

John Yoder's parents were immigrants John Yoder and Anna ___. This John's
father was Christian Yoder (YR23).

Barbara Rickenbach's parents, John and Anna, immigrated from Switzerland.
John died in 1782 in Berks County, Pa. The Rickenbach line can be traced
five more generations to a Michael Rickenbach who lived in Switzerland in
the sixteenth century.

Whiles the stones are still in place, John and Barbara's original Yoder
House asks for preservation!

Mabel V. Brunk
1325 Greencroft Drive #383
Goshen, In 46526

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: BIG VALLEY YODER HOUSE NEEDS PRESENTATION-Part Two

For a Picture of this old house, visit:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/YR251.html

From: Chris Yoder <75757.3371@compuserve.com>
Subject: Query--Yetter

Query

Looking for any connection to Austin Yetter .He moved to Arizona as a young
man.
His father's name was Joseph. He siblings are Elvira, Abbie, Royal, Laure
and
James Arthur. His father was born 1818 and married Charlotte Eaton.
Let me know if there is a connection. Thanks, Shirley Yetter (Ontario,
Canada)

(.Could you also mention that the original name was Gurtin
changed to Yett, Yetta then to Yetter. Maybe we can get some
response. Ask if anyone knows of a Harold Yetter, if so,
what info do they have. Thanks, Shirley.)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: New File Added- Yost Yetter d. NJ about 1844

Thanks to Richard Berg, we are pleased to announce the addition to
our FTP archives of a descendant registry for:

1.6 Yost Yetter
Birth: abt 1770
Death: abt 1844, Walpack, Sussex Co., N.J.
Burial: 21 Jan 1845, dated 1/10/1845-filed Newton, N.J.
Occ: Farmer
Reli: Dutch Reformed

Dryland Church records: 75 Jost Jotter Anna Maria b Jan 4
Frederick Vogele Christine bap May 29, 1796 Elizabeth 88 Jost Jotter
Joseph b Oct 14, 1800 Jacob Scheimer Christine bap Apr 19, 1801
Elizabeth 1800 Pa. Census - Bethleham Twp., Northampton Co., Pa. 2 boys
under 10 1 girl under 10 Purchased property in Walpack, N.J. in 1821
from Cornelius Van Horn Sold property in 1824 to Jacob Yetter and John
Yetter of Hamilton Twp., Northampton Co., Pa. 1830 Census Walpack
Joseph Yetter male 20-29 male 50-59 female 10-14 female 15-19 female
50-59 1840 Census Walpack Yost Yetter 1 male 70-80 1 female 10-15 1
female 40-50

Spouse: Christina (Fogel) Yetter
Birth: abt 1770, Bethleham Twp., Pa.
Death: bef 1840
Father: Frederick Fogel (-1811)
Mother: Elizabeth Fogel

Children: Mary (Anna Marie) Yetter (1796-1869)
Jacob (1798-1875)
Joseph (1800-)
Simeon (1805-1878)
Catherine (Yetter) (1806-1829)

HTML data will be updated subseqeuntly.

From: Lonnie Yoder <ltby@shentel.net>
Subject: House of Yoder News (June 1999)

The June 1999 edition of the House of Yoder News follows. If you would
like to see the photos of the house referred to in the first item, they
are available at the Yoder Newsletter website
(http://www.genealogy.org/~yoder).

House of Yoder News (June 99)

The Yoder House Is Now Under Roof!

The construction of the Yoder House reached a milestone when the cedar
shake roof was completed earlier this spring! According to Kenneth
Yoder, this was a "major, major, major achievement"! See the two photos
above--the photo on the left shows an end view of the house (the eastern
exposure taken from the Penn Alps Restaurant parking lot). Note the
unique pitch of the roof. The photo on the right is the southern
exposure taken from near Old Route 40 (National Pike). Next tasks in the
building project include laying stone around the exterior of the house
on the first floor, building the stairway and stone fireplace on the
interior, and installing the electrical service. Volunteers are still
needed to work on the remaining building tasks. Stone laying skills and
carpentry skills are especially valued. If you or someone you know
would be willing to donate some labor, please contact our Volunteer
Coordinator, Paul H.Yoder, at 301-895-5411.

Interior Decoration and Furnishings

An interior decoration and furnishings committee composed of Kenneth
Yoder, Phyllis Weaver, Doris Ours, Lonnie Yoder, and Mark Yoder has been
commissioned to ensure as much historical accuracy as possible in the
interior of the Yoder House. The committee met on April 16, walked
through the house and began developing an interior floor plan and
furnishings scheme. Andirons have already been purchased for the stone
fireplace. We are also in need of a 5-sided jamb stove (cast iron).
Anyone aware of how we might locate and purchase a jamb stove should
contact Kenneth Yoder at 301-895-5411. We are also open to either the
donation of or help in locating authentic furnishings for the house
including such items as kitchen utensils, beds, furniture, authentic
lamps (e.g. betty lamps or phoebe lamps), etc. Older Bibles and books
are also welcomed.

First Tour of the Yoder House-July 10, 1999!

The House of Yoder Executive Committee is arranging for the first
opening of the Yoder House to the public for a tour on July 10 from 10
a.m.-4 p.m. during the 22nd Annual Summer Festival and Quilt Show of
Grantsville (July 8-10). Although the construction will not be entirely
completed by that date, there will be a number of items on display in
the house and several costumed persons and guides available to show the
house. Plans are also being made to serve a corn chowder and corn bread
based on a colonial-era recipe. Authentic straw hats will also be for
sale. So come to Spruce Forest Artisan Village on July 10 and be part of
history as the Yoder House will be open to the public for the first
time! (over for more news)

Report on the 3rd Annual Meeting on November 14, 1998

43 persons gathered on a beautiful autumn Saturday (November 14, 1998)
at Penn Alps in Grantsville, MD for the third annual meeting of House of
Yoder, Inc. The program included an inspiring tour of the Yoder House
under construction. The tour revealed the painstaking care with which
Kenneth Yoder and others are making this house as authentic as possible
(construction of a similar house in the 18th century would have taken
approximately 5 years!) $3110 in contributions came in during the day
and this amount was matched from funds in the $20,000 matching grant.
Virgil Yoder gave an informative and inspiring multimedia presentation
of the Yoder story dating back to European origins. If you haven,t seen
this professional presentation, consider inviting Virgil to your area.

Fund-Raising Goal of $4,000

An immediate fund-raising goal is to raise $4000 to finish off the
$20,000 matching grant. To date, gifts of $16,141 have been credited
towards the $20,000 matching grant. All contributions (including
membership dues) will be matched dollar for dollar by this matching
grant until we reach the $20,000 amount. If each person on the mailing
list were to give at least $25, we would be able to meet the matching
grant! Use the enclosed membership/contribution form to send your gift
to support the Yoder House. In addition to obtaining or extending
memberships, you can support the cause by purchasing doors, windows, and
fireplace stones of various sizes in the Yoder House. There is also an
opportunity to contribute in memory or honor of a family member such as
a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent. Remember that all
contributions to the Yoder House Project are tax-deductible.

Yoder Heritage Tour to Europe Planned for May-June 2000

Plans are well under way for a Yoder Heritage Tour to Europe in late
spring of 2000 (May or June 2000). Lois Ann and J. Lemar Mast of
Morgantown, PA, who will serve as tour agents, are currently making
plans for this tour. Jan Gleysteen, a veteran tour leader, is planning
to serve as one of the tour guides. The tour will be a 22 day package
with an emphasis on Yoder history with a tentative title of "On the
Trail of Our Ancestors". Persons interested in being placed on a
mailing list for this tour should send their name, address, and phone
number to: Lonnie Yoder, 1066 Smith Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA 22802. As
further details become available, they will be shared first with those
who have indicated interest. Details will also be announced in the next
edition of this House of Yoder News (September 1999).

Did You Know?

The 4th Annual Meeting of House of Yoder, Inc. is planned for November
13, 1999. Each annual meeting has seen an increase in attendance and we
invite you to put this date on your calender. Membership in House of
Yoder is not a requirement to attend the annual meeting, but we welcome
a growing membership list.

There are currently 73 active memberships in House of Yoder, Inc.
including 12 lifetime memberships, 38 five year memberships, and 23 one
year memberships.

Joe Yoder and Emery Yoder of Harrisonburg, Va spent 3 days last November
(Nov. 5-7) giving the construction of the Yoder House a real boost!
Their timely help is deeply appreciated! Many others have given much
time and labor as well.

From: john@briax3.bartol.udel.edu (John W Bieber, Bartol Research Institute)
Subject: Yost Yoder of Oley .. who was his wife ?

In one of Karl Joder's write-ups (see
http://www.yodernewsletter.org/court/oleykarl.html),
he says Yost Yoder's wife is Elizabeth Kuhlewein. He
attributes this information to a Kathleen Dietrich.

Does anyone on the list know what the evidence for
this is ?

Thanks .. John Bieber
john@bartol.udel.edu

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: QUERY;John Yoder of Alliance Ohio
My grandfather's name was John Yoder. He married Leona Navojovsky. They
lived together in Alliance, Oh. He had two sisters and a brother. Their
names were Ruth, Clara, and William (Bill). Their parents were Charles
Yoder and Jink Fogle. We know that Charles!
' mother was named Catherine Malone, but do not know his father's name.
If you have any information that might be able to help us with our search
please e-mail me. Any information would be greatly appriciated. Thank
You.
Jennifer Faulconer <jeremynjenny@theinnet.net>
Shelbyville, In USA - Friday, May 28, 1999 at 18:13:09 (PDT)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: Yoder/Biehl: Pennsylvania

Mary Ann Brown wrote:

> Does anyone have information regarding
> Catherine Yoder who married Daniel Biehl?
>
> They had several children and lived in
> Pennsylvania.
>
> Do not know the parentage of Catherine
> or Daniel.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mary Ann Brown
> marbro@flash.net

Here's the suspected family...see OY425 below:

OY- Yost Yoder b. 5 Oct. 1679 Steiffisburg,Switzerland
m. Elizabeth__________
d. 1741/2 (son of Adam Joder and Barbara Ochsenbein of
Steiffisburg)
Yoder Reunion Book-Dr. Don Yoder; DJH 9185; Annals in the Oley
Valley-Bertolett;
Karl Joder letter;Fragments of the Past-Bertolett; Notes and
Queries-Eagle; Notes
and letters from Helen V Yoder, Lester Yoder, Jean Manning, Helen
Weidner)
+OY1- John Yost b. 1718 PA
OY2- Elizabeth b. 1720 m. (w1) Lazareth Weidner (c1723-5 -
before 11/26/1802) d. 12/5/1782 "at 7am of dropsy age 62 yrs"
bur. 12/7/1782 had "visions" , 9 children
OY3- Samuel b.
(where is he and did he have descendants???)
+OY4- Jacob b. 1735

OY4- Jacob m. Maria Keim (Nov.1734- ) will made 3/12/1803
probated 3/14/1804 bur. private Cem. Lobachsville. Provincial
Service 1757 for three years. Also in Revolution.
Jacob Yoder Will; Dorothy Y. Coffman collected Church data; Berks
Co. Marriages 1730-1800; Berks Co. Letters of Admin.)
+OY41- Daniel b. 1758
+OY42- Peter b. m. Ann Oyster
+OY43- Johannes b. 1763
+OY44- Abraham b.
m. Sep.26,1784 by Rev. Boos d.> 1803
+OY45- Jacob b. Nov.6,1772
OY46- Elizabeth b. Feb.18,1755 m. Jul.21,1779 at New Goshenhoppen
Reformed Church, Montgomery Co., PA. to Ludwig Graber d. Jan.
1842
OY47- Catharine b. 1766 m. Feb.20,1787 by Rev. Boos to Abraham
Angstadt of Rockland Twp. d. May 12, 1837 Rockland Township,
bur. Angstadt Cem.
OY48- Magdalena b. 1764 m. Apr.23,1788 by Rev. Boos, to Jacob
Angstadt of District Twp. d. Sep.25,1857 age 93
OY49- Esther b. m. Jan.1,1794 (or Jan 14) by Rev. Boos at
Schwartzwald Church, Exeter Twp. to Isaac Barto d. >1803
OY4a- Mary b. m. Feb.27,1798 by Rev. Philip Pauli, Ist Ref.
Church Reading to John Nicholas Mensh d. >1803
OY4b- Susanna b. m. Apr.23,1783 by Rev. Boos to Heinrich
Herner of Exeter Twp., d. <1803
OY4c- Barbara b. m. Jan.7, 1784 by Rev. Boos to Johannes
Oyster (1755-1844) of Rockland Twp. d. <1803

OY43- Johannes m. 12/23/1788 Exeter Twp, Schwartzwald Ch. to Phronica
Emmerich (christ. 12/15/1760 DeLongs Ref. Church, Bowers-
d.? 9/19/1833) d. 10/26/1847 Richmond Twp. Berks Co.
OY431- Hanna b. Jun.30,1789 Rockland Twp
bapt Christ (Mertz) Church.
OY432- Maria b. Aug.27,1790
+OY433- Jacob b. Jun.27,1792
+OY434- Johannes b. Jun.19,1794
OY435- Catherine b. Nov.15,1796 (?m. Daniel Biel)
OY436- Abraham b. 9/17/1799 d.3/10/1826 Kutztown Cem.
+OY437- David b. 4/13/1804 Richmond Twp.
OY438- Christina b. 2/2/1807 bap.Moselem Zion's Luth Church by Rev.
John Stoever, Richmond Twp. m. 1/18/1829 to Peter Merkel by
Rev Charles Herman d. 8/30/1889
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

From: "Mary Ann Brown" <marbro@flash.net>

Chris, thank you once more for responding.

Catherine Yoder's birthdate, given by you, is the only possible one I have
for her at present. Had an earlier hunch her parents would have been Jacob
Yoder and
Catherine (?) Still pondering this one.

If her parents were Johanes Joder and Phronica Emmerich then she was
baptized April 2, 1797, in
the Christ Church of Bieber Creek (Mertz;) Berks
county, Pennsylvania. Her sponsor was Hana Emerich.
(Notice the mother and sponsor have different
surname spellings for what this is worth at this time.)

Daniel Biehl: I know he died in the Oley township,
Pennsylvania; no dates or parentage. He was a
tinsmith and a Lutheran.

Their children:
Elizabeth Biehl, married to Joseph Kissling
Abraham Yoder Biehl
Daniel Biehl
Catherine Biehl, married to John Stapleton
Isaac Yoder Biehl, married to Susanna Eidel

Do you have any information concerning
Elizabeth Biehl and her husband, Joseph Kissling?
I descend from them, as well. One of their
children, Catherine "Kitty," married Jacob Jones.
They were my maternal great grandparents.

Thank you.

Mary Ann Brown
marbro@flash.net

From: "Mary Ann Brown" <marbro@flash.net>

Chris, thank you for responding to my post; much
appreciated.

I do know there were several Catherine Yoders.
Have absolutely no specific time frame
in mind.

Do you have any Biehl, Beihl or Beal information?

Thank you.

Mary Ann Brown
marbro@flash.net

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Christian Yoder Cemetery

We are about $400 away from being able to place the brass marker at the
Old Yoder Cemetery in Somerset County, Pa. Would like to schedule and do
this around Labor Day holiday....Any contributions toward this goal
would be very welcome...send to the Battle Creek address...Thanks.

The following letter was mailed to the "cemetery clean-up" committee:

Chris Yoder
203 Lakeshire Rd.
Battle Creek, MI 49015
Jun. 8, 1999
SUBJECT: Christian Yoder Cemetery Restoration

TO:*****

Dear "Cousins";

Here's a status and a solicitation for your opinions. We've purchased the
brass plaque. It has been delivered to Jack Walker in Somerset and is
waiting the next step. On the stone:
-The best prices we've received from a monument company seem to
be from Johnson Memorial in Meyersdale...$499 for a "Hickory Marker
(Barre Grey Granite" 2 1/2' by 1' by 8", $632 for a slanted Granite...2
1/2' by 10" by 1' 4". Other options are more expensive.
- I called the strip mine to see if they had any large granite
boulders around that they could place with their own equipment and we
could just pay for a stone cutter to do the facing and attachment, and
the answer was that they didn't have such boulders anyplace. (We have
lots in Michigan, but that doesn't do us much good).
-Funding-wise, we have about $180 at this point, but I'll kick in
another personal contribution and the YNL can give a bit....may also make
another solicitation over the Yoder listserver. Anyone have any
suggestions here, or should we just go ahead with one of the cheaper
stone prices above?

On the timing: I was thinking we could shoot for having the marker
placed in July or August, and perhaps trying to get together for a
dedication over the Labor Day weekend at the beginning of September.
(Harvey, perhaps you know a minister who would be willing to take part in
a commemorative service?)

Please let me know what you all think about this. Thanks.

Chris Yoder, 616-969-3029 (evenings)

From: "Laurie E. Castillo" <lcastillo@itsnet.com>
Subject: Re: YODER-D Digest V99 #30

Hello Yoders,

We are new to this list. Would you please give us the birth and death dates of
this Christian Yoder so we can see if he is in our data base?

Thank You!

Virginia and Laurie

From: "lkstraus" <lkstraus@muscanet.com>
Subject: CHRISTIAN YODER DATES

Hi Chris

I was just reading your reply to "rootsweb" . I noticed you said Christian
Yoder was born "about" 1728. The information I have is that he was born on
February 01, 1728 in Steffisburg, Bern, Switzerland. I got this info from
my grandmother, who had it in her family bible.

Also, the dates I have for Barbara Hooley is b. April 17, 1741 in
Switzerland. Some believe she was born in Pennsylvania, and I did, until I
ran across this-------

"Some years ago the noted, comtemporary Yoder genealogist Rachel Kreider
found an old Hooley Bible belonging to Veronica and John Hooley, the
immigrant, in which their daughter Barbara was listed. Barbara, nicknamed
"Bevy", was born in Berks County, April 17, 1741 and died in Somerset
County, March 8, 1812. Pronounced "Hulley" then and "Hooley" now, her
family came from Switzerland in 1750. "

This is where a discrepancy comes in -if she was born in 1741 and her family
didn't come here until 1750, I would assume, she had to have been born in
Switzerland.

It's genealogy "fun"!

Kaye
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: Michael Burley <mburley@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: YODER-D Digest V99 #31

> To answer your question below....
>
> The Christian Yoder was born about 1728, and died 11/20/1816 in Somerset
> County
> Pa. His second wife was Barbara Hooley, who died 3/8/1812 in Somerset
> county.
>
> For more information about this cemetery, see the article on the clean-up
> effort
> in YNL 32. For more about this Christian (referred too in the AAMG by
> Gingerich-Kreider
> and in Yoder Archives files as "YR23") see the hand-writing analysis in
> YNL 33.

Here is a bit more detail...

Descendant Chart for immigrant Christian Yoder YR23
<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

1-Christian Yoder b: Oct 1728, Switzerland, d: 20 Nov 1816, Stony Creek Twp.,
Somerset Co., PA
sp: NN b: 1728, m: 1740
|--2-Veronica "Fanny" Yoder b: 1753, Stonycreek Twp. Berks Co. PA, d: 15 Sep
| 1821, Norfolk Co. Ontario
|--2-Barbara Yoder b: 1756, Stonycreek Twp. Berks Co. PA, d: 1789
|--2-Christian Yoder b: ca Oct 1758, Berks co. PA, d: 29 Apr 1838, Somerset co.
| PA
|--2-Jacob Yoder b: Jul 1760, Berks co. PA, d: 24 Mar 1829, Stonycreek Twp.
| Berks Co. PA
sp: Barbara Hooley b: 17 Apr 1741, Switzerland, d: 8 Mar 1812, Somerset co. PA,
m: ca 1762
|--2-Yost Yoder b: 1765, Stonycreek, Berks Co. PA, d: 1792, Somerset co. PA
|--2-David Yoder b: 1763, Berks co. PA, d: 1850, Cambria County, PA
|--2-Jonathan Yoder b: 1766, Berks co. PA, d: 1846, Somerset co. PA
|--2-Magdalena Yoder b: 1769, Berks co. PA, d: 1848, Somerset co. PA
|--2-John Yoder b: 8 Feb 1772, Berks co. PA, d: 4 Oct 1860, Somerset co. PA
|--2-Solomon Yoder b: 25 Mar 1776, Pennsylvania, d: 16 Feb 1868, Elkhart Co.
| Indiana
|--2-Elizabeth Yoder b: 1774, Berks co. PA, d: 1830, Somerset co. PA
|--2-Gertrude "Gerty" Yoder b: 1778, Somerset co. PA, d: 1830, Holmes Co. OH
|--2-Jeptha Yoder b: Dec 1780, Somerset co. PA
|--2-Esther Yoder b: Dec 1780, Somerset co. PA, d: 20 Nov 1871, LaGrange Co.
| Indiana
|--2-Henry Yoder b: 1782, Somerset co. PA

Mike in Oregon
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "lkstraus" <lkstraus@muscanet.com>
Subject: Re: CHRISTIAN YODER DATES

Chris,

All I can remember about the Bible is, yes it was very old and we had to be
careful when we handled it as the pages would tear very easily. I do
remember I couldn't read any of the writings in it as it was all in German
or I should say I assumed it was German. My grandmother read off the names
and dates to me. It was shortly after that, that her brother wanted it and
she never got it back. So I never saw it again.

Later,
Kaye
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YODER COOKBOOK NOW AVAILABLE

The Yoder Heritage Cookbook is NOW printed and available for order.

Cookbooks will be available for sale, at the summer Oley reunion.
(7/17/99); Price-$10.00 each, plus postage and handling of $2.50. (this
is also the cost for multiple purchases) we can only place one cookbook
in each envelope.;Send $12.50 to Alice Yoder, 433 Manor House Lane,
Souderton, PA 18964-2802. Make checks out to: Yoder Reunion Association

(Funds generated go toward the perpetual Maintenance of the Oley Yoder
cemetery at Pleasantville.)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Coming Attraction---1920 Indiana Yoder Census

Thanks to the efforts of Kaye Strause, we soon will be adding the 1920 Indiana Yoder
Census to our Yoder archives.

This large census contains over 500 individual listings (assuming my line count on the
Word program is correct) and was a termendous undertaking (Thanks KAYE!!).

We are now trying to identify with "YR" numbers as many as the families as possible, and
also creating an index sorted in county sequence.

Will announce as soon as the FTP and then the html files are available.

Best Fourth of July Greetings, with lots of gratitude for our Yoder ancestors who had
the good sense to come to this great country!

From: "Grace Evans" <gracevans@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: New Web Page

Coleen and other Yoder Descendants,

Interesting Web Page. My YODER and KOENIG/KING ancestors are there, and I
can fill in more dates if anyone needs them.

My line: Samuel KOENIG + Anna YODER > Michael KOENIG + Veronica ________ >
Jonathan KOENIG + Elizabeth Reichenbach YODER > Joshua Yoder KING + Sarah
Keller CROUSE

Grace Evans
<gracevans@prodigy.net>

From: Agnes B Yount <alby6@juno.com>

From: "Derick S. Hartshorn" <derick@twave.net>
To: CATAWBA-WEST-L@rootsweb.com
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:54:24 -0400

CLINE REUNION 2000

The 7th Bi-Annual Conference and Reunion of the Southern CLINE families
will
take place on June 23-25, 2000 in Catawba County, North Carolina.
Promising to
be the best ever, we anticipate over three hundred guests and friends, if
past
history is any guide.

All those who descend from or have an affinity for Sebastian
KLEIN/KLINE/CLINE
are cordially invited. Sebastian was born about 1712 in Postorff, Alsace,
Germany and died about 1792 in present-day Catawba County. His grave is
marked
in Old St. Paul,s Church Cemetery in Newton, NC.

We are currently enlarging our mailing list and would love to have new
participants. Please visit our web page and fill out the mail list form.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/Cline_r.htm

--The Cline Reunion Committee

The above should be of interest to Descendants of Conrad Yoder and his
first wife, Christina Cline, daughter of Sebastian.

Best Regards,
Ray Yount

From: "Coleen Florke" <cflorke@computer-depot.com>
Subject: Web Site

Thanks to all the list member who took the time to check out my web site and
to write back. I appreciate the support, corrections and ideas on how to
improve. It was also fun to look at your sites.

You were all very kind. Now its off to make those changes.

Coleen Florke
Twin Falls, Idaho
cflorke@computer-depot.com

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: ??Descendants of Fred Roy Yoder?

Can any subscribers to the Yoder Listserver help us find descendants of
Fred Roy Yoder, author of the "HISTORY OF THE YODER FAMILY OF NORTH
CAROLINA"?

Members of the NC Yoder Family group would like to contact them about
doing a reprint of that work.

Please respond to Chris Yoder at the YNL.

cyoder@mail.tds.net

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: 1920 Indiana Yoder Census Uploaded

This census is now available in the FTP section of the Yoder Homepage...
If you have family in the state at that time...check it out.

--Thanks to Kaye Strause for her Typing and compilation!!

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: David Yoder Somerset County

Can anyone identify this David Yoder, shown in a photo taken in Salisbury
Pa (Somerset County) in from of a Bar Window...through the window and to
the right is a fellow identified as Mick Harding...this building was on
west Grant Street between the Valley House and the Hay Building.

believed early 1900's

http://members.tripod.com/~SalisburyPA/Salisbury-2.html

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: 1920 Indiana Yoder Census Uploaded

ChrisYoder wrote:

> This census is now available in the FTP section of the Yoder Homepage...
> If you have family in the state at that time...check it out.
>
> --Thanks to Kaye Strause for her Typing and compilation!!

Thanks to Yoder WebWonder Don Kauffman, the census is now also available
in HTML..

From: "Coleen Florke" <cflorke@computer-depot.com>

From: Chris Yoder <75757.3371@compuserve.com>
Subject: Gideon Yoder-Steam Valley, Pa

What a great find! I'm a Yoder from Williamsport, PA. I've been doing my
family tree and discovered your newsletter. I don't know how my family
links
up with the Yoders in your site but I found your information fascinating.
My
grandfather Harold Yoder told me that he came from Steam Valley Pa. He died

in 1973. His father was Gideon Yoder and he had several siblings. I do have
little more info if you can use it. I would appreciate any leads you could
give me. Thanks, Kathy ( JMAK777@aol.com)
-------
Hi Chris, Thank you so much for replying so quickly to my email. Theodore
was my Uncle Ted, and my mother's name is Mildred after my great aunt. I'll

send you names and dates after our family reunion on July 25. If you know
anyone who would like to join us to meet our Yoder clan they would be very
welcome to join us. The get together is at Little Pine State Park at the
lower picnic area. Pavilion # 4. They can email me for directions.
My grandfather (Harold Albert Yoder) married Esther Kathryn Nuss. They
had five children, all still living. Clara Alice, Mildred Jane, Mary
Louise,
Harold Albert, Jr., Marian (Dot) Dorothy. My mother is Mildred and she
married William Vogel. I was born Kathryn Yvonne Yoder and I have four
children John Thomas Cowher, Michael Rodney Martz, April Christine Cowher
and
Kevin Eugene Cowher. Plus three grandchildren. I will send you more details

and dates after the reunion.

From: Chris Yoder <75757.3371@compuserve.com>
Subject: Lost Siblings

If you know these folks, please contact them, and let them be the ones to
reply to
Mrs. Harris---- Thanks...the YNL

--------------Looking for lost Siblings--Can you help

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Christian Yoder of the Cemetery Effort

To answer your question below....

The Christian Yoder was born about 1728, and died 11/20/1816 in Somerset
County
Pa. His second wife was Barbara Hooley, who died 3/8/1812 in Somerset
county.

For more information about this cemetery, see the article on the clean-up
effort
in YNL 32. For more about this Christian (referred too in the AAMG by
Gingerich-Kreider
and in Yoder Archives files as "YR23") see the hand-writing analysis in
YNL 33.

Thnaks for asking.
-----------------------

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Two County Additions to YNL FTP files

Two new files have been added to our YODER ARCHIVES!(FTP now, later to
html)

First, excerpts from the Leetonia (Ohio) Reporter. Leetonia, Ohio -Copied
and contributed by Sam Detwiler, 1999. This includes references to some
of the Mennonite Yoder inhabitants of that area. Thanks Sam!!

Second, cemetery, birth, marriage and death records from Williams County,
Ohio....Thanks to Carol Schad for her efforts to copy these from County
sources!!

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: 11 Days to St. Joder's Day

St. Joders' Day is coming up Aug. 16th.

Have you decided how to celebrate?

Cards to family? Take in food to the Office?

Here in Battle Creek...the plan is Shoo fly pie and Ice Cream
for everybody!

For more info on St. Joder...Visit the articles at the following
locations:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/YNL/vol02.html

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/YNL/vol22.html

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Collecting Data for October Newsletter

Any Yoder 100 plus year olds celebrating birthdays?

Reports from Yoder Family reunion??

New Discoveries in Family research???

Our normal schedule calls for finalizing the October Yoder Newsletter and
sending it to the printer by mid September.

If you have anything that you would like to submit for this issue, please
let me know soonest....

Anything hardcopy should be mailed to:

Chris Yoder
203 Lakeshire Rd
Battle Creek, MI 49015

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: How Are You Celebrating St. Joder's Day?

How about each of you sharing what your plans are for the big annual event
(again Aug. 16th in Swiss Reformed calendars).

Here's my plan...

I have an office of about 40-45 people and for the past several years
have sprung for pizza, or other edibles...

This year the plan is "Pie and Ice Cream for St. Joder's Day"....

(anyone know where shoo-fly pie can be obtained??? That would provide
a nice PA Dutch touch).

Now..let's hear you plans or (constructive) ideas of how best to celebrate this special
Yoder day???

Chris

From: Irene Best <win@roxwhimem.lib.az.us>
Subject: Re: How Are You Celebrating St. Joder's Day?

I have a small staff -- all with a yen for chocolate, so plan to make Funny
Cake Pie from the recipe in the Mennonite Cookbook.

Irene Yoder-Best

From: djknight@ix.netcom.com

On 08/07/99 15:22:35 you wrote:

>How about each of you sharing what your plans are for the big annual event
>(again Aug. 16th in Swiss Reformed calendars).
>
>Here's my plan...
>
>I have an office of about 40-45 people and for the past several years
>have sprung for pizza, or other edibles...
>
>This year the plan is "Pie and Ice Cream for St. Joder's Day"....
>
>(anyone know where shoo-fly pie can be obtained??? That would provide
>a nice PA Dutch touch).
>
>Now..let's hear you plans or (constructive) ideas of how best to celebrate this special
>Yoder day???
>
>Chris
>==== YODER Mailing List ====

Hi, Chris, I decided to answer your question after thinking about it for a couple days. This will be my first
ever
celebration. Thanks to you and countless others I now know about ST Yoders Day through the web site
and all the records and
history I have been able to retrieve via that site. I am giving careful consideration to my celebration. I am
a member of
a small 4 doctor medical office and plan to share my history and that of St Yoder with them probably with
the help of some
snacks or something appropriate. I will look in my new Yoder Cookbook and maybe be able to choose
something historically
appropriate. Having had a father who ran away at a young age and never talked of his heritage has made
my hungar for it
more pronounced. I am now in possession of a tape recording made by his brother during their first
contact after a span of
approximately 50 years, it is exciting for me to listen to those voices and get glimpses of what things may
have been like
for them after their mother died and they were "farmed out." But thanks to you all I know much more
about their roots and
how we came to be. Keep up the good work.

Jaydine Yoder-Knight
Springfield Oregon
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "The Yoder's" <yoder@srt.net>

some of the best sho0-fly ply in pa is @ aaron peacheys in barrville or the

From: Irene Best <win@roxwhimem.lib.az.us>

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YR12a3b

From: JAMES GRANT YODER <JYODER@bc.sympatico.ca>

(He'd be glad to hear from anyone with more info on this family)

In May 1914 Anna Yoder
was married to Manasses Hershberger. I have looked up a couple of
Manasses H. in the two big Hochstetler genealogy books, one or two in
Gingerich and Kreider, and 2 or 3 in David Luthy's "Settlements that
Failed" and all seemed too far from Anna's age.

Here is a summary of info on YR12a3b:

Anna M. Yoder YR12a3b
(Compiled by James G. Yoder,10060 Aintree Crescent, Richmond, B.C.,
Canada V7A 3T8 [e-mail: jyoder@bc.sympatico.ca] August 8, 1999)

Anna was the youngest of the 11 children of Amish bishop Jonathan "Yoni"
Yoder (YR12a3) and Magdalena Wagner .

Born July 2, 1840 in the Tuscarora Valley, Juniata County, PA
(Gingerich & Kreider, Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies, p.504;
David Luthy, The Amish in Ameri ca: Settlements That Failed 1840-1960,
pp. 430,432.)

Moved with her parents to Dry Grove Township, McLean County, Illinois in
the spring of 1851 where her parents lived out their days. Magdalena
died in 1866 and Jonathan in 1869 (Gingerich & Kreider). Anna,s
brothers, Elias, Amos and Asa, also had moved to McLean County about
the same time.

Anna married a Mr. Hein about 1864 or 1865. The location may have been
McLean County or a nearby county in Illinois.
They were known to have had at least 3 children: Iddo, Lawrence, and
Irene.
Anna was widowed and married a Mr. Plank of whom no information is at
hand. (Her brother, Elias was married to Lydia Plank; and there were
other Plank relatives.)

Anna and her children moved to Clackamas County, Oregon, perhaps in
1890. Her sister Catherine and her husband, Gideon Lantz, had been the
first of the family to move to this part of Oregon, and then Joe and
Mary Yoder Schwartz, Jonathan S. Yoder, Levi David Yoder, and John P.
Yoder (four of the children of her brother Elias) moved to Oregon from
Dade County, Missouri. Anna,s brother Asa Yoder had moved here also in
1889, having also lived in Dade County, MO from 1874 to 1889. All these
had fairly large families.

Apparently at some point Anna had been widowed for the second time, and
at the end of her life she was married to Manasses Hershberger. (A
letter from Jonathan S. Yoder written May 10, 1914 tells of visiting
Uncle Manasses Hershberger and Aunt Anna in Hubbard, OR, for dinner on
May 3, 1914, and was published in a book of remembrance for the 1988
Yoder Reunion at Yoder, OR)

Anna died later in 1914 in Hubbard, OR, and was buried in the Smyrna
Cemetery with her name on the cemetery records shown as Anna M.
Hershberger.

(Their birth order is assumed based on a spreadsheet of the descendants
of Jonathan & Magdalena Yoder prepared by a descendant, Joel Daniels of
Canby, OR, in 1996.)

Iddo Hein:
-Born in 1866 probably in Illinois
-Died in 1939 in Clackamas County, OR, and was buried in the Smyrna
Cemetery near the Yoder community in Clackamas Country.
-Married about 1890 to his first cousin, Hattie H. Yoder (1873-1941),
the sixth of the seven children of Asa J. Yoder and Catherine Frey.
The location was probably Clackamas County.
-They had 8 children that lived and were married, as well as perhaps 2
or 3 that died as infants:
Anna (b.1895, d. 1983, m. Owen Brown); Ralph (b. 1898, d. 1981; m.
Eunice _______); Marsha (m. Jesse Aplet); Fay (m. Mary Brown); Howard
(m. Enid _______); Katherine (m. Clifford Hitchman); Corwin (m.
Helen ______); and Jack (m. Hazel _____). There are three Hein
infants buried in the Smyrna Cemetery, who had died in 1891, 1893 and
1908, any or all of
which may have been Iddo and Hattie,s children.

Lawrence Hein lived and died in Clackamas County, OR, but the dates
of his birth and death are not legible in the Smyrna Cemetery record we
have a copy of.
Lawrence married Mamie Crocker, and had 2 sons: Bruce (b. 1901 - d.
1965, buried in Smyrna Cemetery); and Carl.

Irene lived in Oregon and in Canada and was married to Roscoe Heffner
and they were later divorced.

From: Ggyphotog@aol.com
Subject: Re: YR12a3b

Joni was my g-g-g-g-grandfather.
I live in Dallas, TX.

Will be happy to woork with you.

Gordon Yoder

From: Jmak777@aol.com
Subject: William Yoder 1851-1935

I'm searching for ancestors of William Yoder born in 1851, he is buried in
Steam Valley, Lycoming Co. Pa. 1935. I have found two Williams in Census
reports from Lycoming Co. but the ages are off by a few years. His 1st wife
was Elizabeth and his 2nd wife was Rachel. Does anyone have any information
on my William? Thanks Kathryn Yoder Cowher

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Two County Additions html'ed]

Available now at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/courts.html#anchor2673916

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

yoder3@juno.com wrote:

> Dear Chris:
>
> Appreciate your response re: Anna Yoder. Couldn't help but notice she
> was born in Juniata Co. PA in 1840 and seems to be of the Amish. It's
> ironic, but there may be a remote tie-in with my gggrandfather Calvin H.
> Yoder(M66) who was born in that Co. in 1832, albeit of the Melchoir Yoder
> line. Can't imagine with all those Yoders in the same county at the same
> period of time and not be somehow related. Possibly I'm "grasping at
> straws", but just checking.

I have to believe the lines cross someplace in Europe...and that they all track back to
Steffisburg, but who knows if this will ever be established..

It's known that the Melchior line had some association with the North Carolina Yoders
founder Conrad...and that both had reputed Mennonite origins in the very early days...

But who knows...???

Chris
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Washington County Iowa Yoders

Can anyone help with information on these families?

-------------------------------
Chris - thanks for your response. I am identifying the descendants of
the following three families with Yoder connections and roots in
Washington County, Iowa:

1. Marvin C. Yoder (1917-????) and his wife, Mildred M. Shebeck
(1919-????) through three identified children.

2. Henry T. Yoder (no dates) and his wife, Louisa M. Jacobs (1907-1988)
through five identified children.

3. Mable D. Yoder (1931) and her husband, Chester R. Miller (1924)
through two identified children.

Thanks for the link to the Yoder web site. If you have seen anything on
any of these families, please let me know.

David L. McMonigle
davemcmo@voyager.net

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Centerport, Pa

I just found out that my grandfather Harold Yoder's father owned
an inn in Centerport. Any information on him and his decendents
would be appreaciated.
deb kell
harrisburg, pa USA - Saturday, July 24, 1999 at 09:46:42 (PDT)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Mennonite Yoder contact--YB2142

Entry On Homepage:

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Old Yoder Cemetery in Somerset County

Thanks to many contributors (including the YNL) a stone and brass plaque have been
erected at the Old Yoder cemetery, north of Brotherton, Pa. This plot rests in the
middle of the Zubeck Strip Mine and is on the original homestead of "Schweitzer"
Christian Yoder (YR23). Jack Walker of Somerset reports that the marker has been placed
and looks great. The mine owners also commended the result of the fund-raising effort.

Because of scheduling conflicts, I can't organize a dedication ceremony and get-together
over the Labor Day weekend. Anyone else like to take on the challenge? Names and
addresses of all supporters available to anyone who can do so.

Please advise.

Chris Yoder
Battle Creek

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: YNL 33 Is In the Mail!

The 33rd semi-annual issue of the Yoder Newsletter is
in the mail! Many of you should have already received
your copies.

Featured articles are:

"Melchior Yoder Line in Ohio, Indiana and Montana"

Who Was "Schweitzer Christian" Yoder (YR23)
-a hand writing analysts assessment

George Yoder of Venango Co- Origins Confirmed

and much more.. Hope you enjoy!

Chris Yoder
editor
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "ginseng" <ginseng@neo.rr.com>
Subject: (no subject)

From: KarenFrancis@webtv.net (Karen Francis)

Wixon Bakery, in Shillington, PA, makes the best shoe fly pie , but not
as good as my mothers - I've asked her to send it to you!

HAPPY ST JODER'S DAY!!
Karen Francis
(Yost descendant)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: Search for Walter Yoder

Anna Belle Emery wrote:

> Dear Yoder Listserve Members,
>
> I saw the following message on the Yoder Family GenForum and thought
> maybe someone on this list might be able to help Sue find Walter Yoder.
> Please answer directly to Sue at the address at the bottom of the
> message,
>
> "Help,
> I am trying to locate a Walter Yoder, or his family. Mr. Yoder was
> researching the descendants of John P. Yoder (who married Elizabeth
> Hershberger). I was hoping to get any info on the Yoder lineage. I know
> that John's father was Phillip Yoder,
> his father was Jacob Yoder, HIS father was Christian Yoder and his
> father was named Schweitzer Yoder. Apparently the lineage dates back to
> the 4th century Switzerland and is derived from St. Theodore's name.
> After that the name was amended to Jotter, this was how Christian Yoder
> (Jotter) spelled the name.
>
> Anyway, we are descended from John's son, Henry Yoder (1859 - 1896).
>
> Any information on Walter's family, his research, or John Yoder's family
> tree would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> You may also email me at suke58@ivillage.com
>
> Thank You.
> Sue"
> mailto:suke58@ivillage.com

> Volunteers wanted with Library Access--to copy Census and
> other Yoder data to add to our archives--write: Chris Yoder

Thanks for highlighting this Anna Belle...I believe I've already
forwarded the following to Sue...but did not post it at the forum.

Best regards, and happy St.Joder's Day!

>From the YNL 32:
Rev. Harry Walter Yoder,(Belated), Feb. 16, 1995- An active
genealogist, early YNL supporter and publisher of info about
YR23493-John P Yoder (3/31/1837 SP-1/8/1917 Vistula EI)

From: Anna Belle Emery <annab@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Search for Walter Yoder

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: SEEKING Schoolmate

The following was extracted from the Yoder Homepage Guestbook.
As with all "people seeking people" queries, please let the person
being sought initiate the contact....Thanks.

No relation to the Yoder family...seeking TAJSHA YODER. She was
my best friend in 8th grade and I really miss her!! Last I heard, she
lived in Stafford, VA. Her mother's name is Debbie, but does not have
the same last name as Tajsha. It's not like Tajsha is a common name,
so if anyone knows anything about her...please, please contact me at e-
mail address- s2ddmars@titan.vcu.edu I know she would want to
hear from me...because "were two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year!!!"(Inside Joke..she'll get it) Anyways, WISH YOU
WERE HERE TAJSHA!!! P.S. Getting ready to graduate from VCU,
so look me up in Richmond.. .only Marsteller in town. OXOX Danielle
Danielle Marsteller <s2ddmars@titan.vcu.edu>
Richmond, VA USA - Tuesday, August 17, 1999 at 11:10:09 (PDT)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Family of Jonathan Yoder -YR12a3

Chris:
Here is a family summary with notes. If useful it can be circulated as
you see fit.

Jonathan Yoder [YR12a3] and His Family

YR12a3 Jonathan Yoder : b. 9/2/1795 Berks Co, PA ; d. 1/28/1869
McLean Co,Ill.(ML)
m. in 1816, Magdalena Wagner, b. ca 1798 PA; d. 02/02/1866 ML
Their children:
YR12a31 Leah b. Mifflin Co, PA (MP) 3/28/1818; d. Woodford Co., Ill.
(WL)
9/12/1894;
m. John Sharp, SH532.
YR12a32 Joash b. MP 12/23/1819; d. Wayne Co, Ohio (WO) 11/23/1899.
m. 1841 Barbara Kaufman, KF3413; she d. 10/12/1851.
m. 11/17/1853 Catherine (Schmucker) Zook, a widow, SM11b
m. Anna Fordemwald, FW241.
YR12a33 Elias b. MP 10/16/1821; d. ML 1/18/1875;
m. Lydia Plank, PK4214.
m. Catherine (Stucky) Frey, a widow; b. France 1810, d. ML
11/30/1881
YR12a34 Elizabeth b. MP 1/5/1825; m. David J. Kauffman, a widower,
11134.
YR12a35 Sarah b. MP 12/7/1826; d. 11/23/1896;
m. 1/1/1853, Solomon Stutzman, ST473 (also DBH 10050)
YR12a36 Amos b. MP 12/17/1828; d. ML 5/25/1912
m. 7/18/1852 Catherine Donner, b. Ohio 10/23/1829; d. ML
9/20/1864
m. Catherine (Kistler) Lantz, a widow; b. Butler Co., Ohio
12/10/1833,
d. 12/6/1905.
YR12a37 Jonathan b. Centre Co., PA (EP) 9/21/1830; d. EP by 1836
YR12a38 Magdalena b. EP 7/13/1832; d. EP by 1836
YR12a39 Asa J. b. EP 1/24/1835; d. Clackamas Co., OR (CR) 7/3/1905;
buried Smyrna Cemetery
m. ML 7/28/1862 Catherine "Katie" Frey, b. Butler Co., OH
(BO); d.
CR 1924;
buried in Smyrna Cemetery
YR12a3a Catherine b. EP 9/10/1836; d. CR 3/11/1891: buried in
Smyrna Cemetery;
m. Gideon Lantz, LZ1231, b. WO 8/14/1830; d. Marion Co. OR
(MR)
6/23/1915; buried in Smyrna Cemetery, CR
YR12a3b Anna M. b. EP 2/7/1840; d. MR 1914; buried in Smyrna
Cemetery, CR.
m. ______ Hein (date and location unknown)
m. _______ Plank (date and location unknown; no children)
m. MR 1913 or 1914 Manasses Hershberger

Sources: Primary Source is 1986 "Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies"
by Hugh Gingerich & Rachel Kreider, along with other sources listed
below. A biography of Jonathan Yoder was written by his son Joash in
1875 and printed in 1900, later cited by William B. Weaver"s 1926
"History of the Central Conference Mennonite Church", and in a 1948
brochure of 8 pages "Joash Yoder his Ancestors and Descendants" compiled
and published by Blaine Yoder which provided some dates for YR12a32.
More recent sources for the Pennsylvania years are found in "Mifflin
County Amish and Mennonite Story 1791-1991" by S. Duane Kauffman in 1991
and for the Illinois years in "A Goodly Heritage: A History of the
North Danvers Mennonite Church" by Steven R. Estes in 1982.
Identification of YR12a33,s second wife Catherine Stucky Frey was made
in a series of four major articles published in the Illinois Mennonite
Heritage, Parts I and II by Neil Ann Stuckey Levine in the Dec. 1991 and
Mar., 1992 issues, and Parts III and IV by Steven R. Estes and Myrna
Stagell Park in the June and Sept., 1992 issues. One of Catherine,s
daughters married Asa J. Yoder, YR12a39.
For Amos Yoder, YR12a36, his birthplace (Duane Kauffman writes that
Jonathan Yoder did not move to Centre County until 1830) and some dates
concerning his two marriages are based on a paper "Descendants of Amos
YR12aa36 Yoder" prepared in Oct., 1995 by Gordon Yoder of Dallas, TX;
copy on file in the Illinois Mennonite Archives in Metamora, Ill.
YR 12a37 Jonathan and YR12a38 Magalena both were born and died as
children in Centre County. The family moved to Juniata County in 1836
per David Luthy in "The Amish in America: Settlements that Failed
1840-1960" , which book also mentions YR12a3 Catherine in Oregon.
Death and burial information for the 3 youngest children of Jonathan
Yoder are obtained from the records and tombstones in Smyrna Cemetery in
the Yoder community in Clackamas County, Oregon, and from family members
in Oregon.
[ Compiled by James G. Yoder, 10060 Aintree Cres., Richmond, B. C. V7A
3T8, Canada, Au. 16, 1999]

From: Lonnie Yoder <ltby@shentel.net>
Subject: Material for October YNL

Chris,

Thanks for your recent generous gift of $500 to the House of Yoder
cause. I'm just back from a House of Yoder Executive Committee meeting
yesterday in Grantsville where we met as a committee in the house for
the first time. A stone mason was working on the exterior walls while
we met. We have contracted with this stone mason to do all the exterior
stone work for a little over $13,000. That will deplete our treasury
and we would like to move on to finish the house since we have built up
such good momentum. I'm planning to get out the September edition of
our House of Yoder News in the next week or so. Executive committee
members are also making individual contacts to raise funds. In the
meantime, I am submitting a brief report for the October issue of YNL.
I will post it to the Yoder list serve as well. Thanks for all the good
work you have done over the years and continue to do for the Yoder
cause!

Lonnie Yoder

House of Yoder Update

Work continues apace on the construction of the Yoder House in
Grantsville, Maryland. Nearly 53 tons of stone are being laid on the
exterior walls and almost as much stone is being used to construct the
interior walk-in fireplace. Over 400 persons toured the Yoder House on
July 10 during the 22nd Annual Summer Festival and Quilt Show of
Grantsville. The root cellar and walk-in fireplace were clear hits with
the guests. On Saturday, November 13 from 11 a.m. through mid-afternoon
the 4th Annual Meeting of House of Yoder will be held in Grantsville. A
guided tour of the Yoder House, business meeting, genealogy display, and
a possible speaker on Amish dimensions of the Yoder story are on the
agenda. Everyone is welcome! Funds are needed to complete
construction of the interior of the Yoder House. Inquiries or
contributions can be directed to Lonnie Yoder, House of Yoder, 1066
Smith Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, ltby@shentel.net, or 540-432-6467.

From: Plattshirl@aol.com
Subject: Re: Family of Jonathan Yoder -YR12a3

In a message dated 8/19/99 6:10:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
cyoder@mail.tds.net writes:

[...]

Is there any connection between this Jonathon Yoder above and the following:

Jonathon S. Yoder m. Mary Plank 4 Aug 1847 in Daviess Co, IN; jonathon son of
Solomon Yoder and Elizabeth Gindlesperger. Mary Plank, dau of Peter Blank
and Elizabeth Keck...

Just wondering about the similarity of names esp after seeing names Elias
Yoder and Lydia Plank. Might Lydia be a sister of Mary?

Shirley

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

Plattshirl@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/19/99 6:10:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> cyoder@mail.tds.net writes:
>
> Jonathan Yoder [YR12a3] and His Family
>
> YR12a3 Jonathan Yoder : b. 9/2/1795 Berks Co, PA ; d. 1/28/1869
> McLean Co,Ill.(ML) m. in 1816, Magdalena Wagner,
> b. ca 1798 PA; d. 02/02/1866 ML
> >>

> Chris,
>
> Is there any connection between this Jonathon Yoder above and the following:
>
> Jonathon S. Yoder m. Mary Plank 4 Aug 1847 in Daviess Co, IN; jonathon son of
> Solomon Yoder and Elizabeth Gindlesperger. Mary Plank, dau of Peter Blank
> and Elizabeth Keck...
>
> Just wondering about the similarity of names esp after seeing names Elias
> Yoder and Lydia Plank. Might Lydia be a sister of Mary?
>
> Shirley

Shirley,

The Jonathan you identify above is YR23385. Using the "cheat sheet" we published on page
2 of the YNL 25 hardcopy...this would make the two Jonathans "third cousins - once
removed".

Chris

From: JAMES GRANT YODER <JYODER@bc.sympatico.ca>

ChrisYoder wrote:

> Plattshirl@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 8/19/99 6:10:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> > cyoder@mail.tds.net writes:
> >
> > Jonathan Yoder [YR12a3] and His Family
> >
> > YR12a3 Jonathan Yoder : b. 9/2/1795 Berks Co, PA ; d. 1/28/1869
> > McLean Co,Ill.(ML) m. in 1816, Magdalena Wagner,
> > b. ca 1798 PA; d. 02/02/1866 ML
> > >>

> > Chris,
> >
> > Is there any connection between this Jonathon Yoder above and the following:
> >
> > Jonathon S. Yoder m. Mary Plank 4 Aug 1847 in Daviess Co, IN; jonathon son of
> > Solomon Yoder and Elizabeth Gindlesperger. Mary Plank, dau of Peter Blank
> > and Elizabeth Keck...
> >
> > Just wondering about the similarity of names esp after seeing names Elias
> > Yoder and Lydia Plank. Might Lydia be a sister of Mary?
> >
> > Shirley
> >

> Shirley,
>
> The Jonathan you identify above is YR23385. Using the "cheat sheet" we published on page
> 2 of the YNL 25 hardcopy...this would make the two Jonathans "third cousins - once
> removed".
>
> Chris
>
>Further to the comments from Chris, Mary Plank (PK4312) and Lydia Plank (PK4214) were second
cousins sharing great-grandparents Melchior and Margaret Plank.
Jim Yoder

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Pennsylvania Marriages

A new file of extracted PA German Marriage records has been added to
the Yoder Archives "FTP" directory...

It includes data extracted from "Pennsylvania German Marriages"
compiled by Donna R. Irish and published in 1982 by
the Genealogy Publishing House.

The Schwartzwald Chruch records will be presented and briefly
discussed in the October YNL.

It's relatively small...so here it is:
Marriages in Berks County

North and Southhampton Dutch Reformed Church
(Neshaminy)
Page 33- Johannes Yodder widr, Fronica Iselmyn (OH)
m. Anna Rosina Leedee 25 Apr 1711 by
Rev. Paulus Van Vlecq

Marriages by Rev. Frederich Rothenbuehler
Page 334- Yoder, Peter (OH14) -Eva Levan 7 Dec 1762
both from Berks Co.

Trinity Reformed Church
Page 396- Yoder, Esther Ann (?d/oOH11132)
m. Reuben V.R. High 10 Oct 1854
Page 398- Yoder, Amelia (OY4592) m. Benneville Harbine

Trinity Tulpehocken Reformed Church
Page 170- Yoder, Charles (AL43) m. Sarah Yeiser
Page 179- Yoder, Carolina (AL45) m. Isaac Brown

Falkner Swamp Lutheran Church, New Hanover Twp,
Montgomery Co, Pa
Page 560- Joder, Mary Ann m. 6 May 1838
John Rhoads
Page 564- Joder, Joseph m. 5 Mar 1843
Annetta Glaize
Page 567- Joder, Benevill (OY45b) m. 12 Jul 1846
Sarah Thomas
Page 569- Yoder, Elis,h m. Henry Kepner
Page 570- Yotter, William of Douglas Twp. (YB2567)
m. Mary Ann Gresh of Douglas Twp. 21 Oct 1860
by Rev. Wendt
Page 577- Yoder, Hannah of Douglas Twp (YB2566)
m. Ruben Beitenman of New Hanover 18 Jan 1862
Page 580- Yoder, Susan E. of Boyertown
m. Wm. F. Boyer of New Berlin 1 Dec. 1866
Page 580- Yoder, Hettie A. m. George H. Smith
12 Jan 1867 prob. Both of Norristown by Rev. L. Groh
Page 583- Yoder, Thomas H. (AR5)
m. Catherine Ritter 12 Oct 1871 by Rev. L. Groh
Page 583- Yoder, Mary L. m. Samuel Weisner
8 Jan 1874 by Rev. L. Groh

Tohickon Reformed Church
Page 424- Yotter, John (YB24) m. Susanna Sauder

Schwartzenwald Reformed Church
Page 62- Jotter, Johannes (OY43) m. 23 Dec 1788
Fronica Emmerich of Rockland Twp.
Page 64- Jotter, Susanna of Oley (OH141)
m. 3 Nov 1789 Daniel Hoch
Page 65- Jotter, Jacob (OY13) m. 2 Mar 1790
Catharina Biermann Oley
Page 66- Jotter, Esther of Oley (OY16) m. 25 May 1790
Johannes Cunis
Page 68- Jotter, Anna Maria of Oley m. 21 Jun 1791
Jacob Vogt
Page 70- Jotter, Abraham (?OH135) m. 18 Nov 1792
Hannah Lies Oley
Page 72- Jotter, Esther of Oley (OY49) m. 14 Jan 1794
Isaac Bertho
Page 76- Jotter, Catherina of Oley (?OY174) m. 21 Jan 1797
m. Daniel Wetner
Page 76- Jotter, Jacob (OY45) m. 28 Feb 1797
Anna Maria Bertho
Page 78- Jotter, Samuel (OH321) m. 21 Apr 1799
Elisabeth Wahl (?) Oley
Page 82- Jotter, Hannah of Oley (OH1111) m. 27 Dec 1801
Jacob Knab
Page 83- Jotter, Abraham (OY44) m. 26 Sep 1802
Elisabeth Breyvogel
Page 83- Jotter, Esther of Oley (OH1327) m. 2 Dec 1802
Henrich Schreckengast
Page 84- Jotter, Johannes (OH145) m. 1 Sep 1803
Catharina Levan Oley
?Page 86- Jotter, David (OH134) m. 8 Jun 1805
Catharina Hoch of Oley
Page 87- Jotter, Hannah of District Twp (OY421)
m. 4 Jun 1805 Abraham Mensch
Page 87- Jotter, Johannes (YR177) m. 20 Jul 1805
Frany Rickebach of Bern Twp.
Page 87- Jotter, Catharina of Bern (YR179) m. 28 Jul 1805
Johannes Hertzler
Page 90- Joder, Elisabetha of Oley (OH132) m. 24 May 1807
Samuel Meyer
Page 92- Jotter, Samuel (OY413) m. 6 Nov 1808
Esther Robert Oley
Page 93- Jotter, Susanna (OY416) m. 23 Apr 1809
Wilhelm Weitner

New Gos. Ref. Church.
Page 592- Joder, Elisabetha dau of Jacob of Rock (OY46)
m. 21 July 1779 Ludwig Graber s. Andreas of N. Gosh.
By Rev. Joh. Theob. Faber
Page 593- Joder, Abraham (YB25) m. 15 Apr 1794
Elizabeth Maurer both from N. Gosh. By Rev. John Faber

First Reformed Church- Lancaster, Lancaster Co, Pa.
Page 224- Jotter, Anna of Leacock (YR163) m. 3 Nov 1789
Peter Scharff by Rev. John Wm. Hendel
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: namake@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Pennsylvania Marriages

Hi Chris

Thank you so very much for posting this info to the group. I believe
that you have found our Esther Ann Yoder who married Rueben High/Hock

Trinity Reformed Church
Page 396- Yoder, Esther Ann (?d/oOH11132)
m. Reuben V.R. High 10 Oct 1854

This is definitely new info for us and we really appreciate your help.
I will definitely check this out. If anyone on this list can make a
connection to Reuben High and Esther Yoder who had a son named Samuel
Yoder High, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks Again
Nancy

From: Lonnie Yoder <ltby@shentel.net>
Subject: House of Yoder News-September 1999

House of Yoder News (Sept 99)

Stone, Stone, and More Stone!

Since the June newsletter, significant progress has been made on the
building of the Yoder House. The three interior stairways have been
built, the electric service has gone in, and a pent roof has been built
on the north exterior. But of even more significance, much stonework
both inside and out has been done. Pete Yoder has devoted numerous
hours to laying stone on the interior walk-in fireplace which is now
nearly complete on the first floor level. On the exterior a stone mason
has been hired to lay stone and that work should be completed by the
time you receive this newsletter. An estimated 53 tons of stone is
needed to complete the exterior stonework. Almost that much is needed
for the interior stone fireplace, so the Yoder House will have nearly
100 tons of stone in its construction! Continuing construction will
focus on completing the interior stone fireplace and putting in windows
and doors before inclement weather sets in. Volunteer workers are
always welcome. If you or someone you know would be willing to donate
some labor, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Paul H.Yoder, at
301-895-5411.

Over 400 Visitors at the First Open House

The House of Yoder was open to the public for the first time on
Saturday, July 10 during the 22nd Annual Summer Festival and Quilt Show
of Grantsville. Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. over 400 persons toured the
house. The weather changed from a gentle rain in the morning to
beautiful sunshine in the early afternoon, and finally, a brief, but
heavy, downpour at about 3 o,clock. During the downpour the Yoder House
was perhaps the most popular spot on the Spruce Forest grounds because
of the shelter it offered from the rain. Many of the 400 guests also
partook of the delicious corn chowder and corn bread which were prepared
just outside the Yoder House over an open fire. Straw hats were also
sold. The root cellar and walk-in fireplace were clear centers of
attraction. Our ancestors would have been proud of the hearty and
genuine conversation which occurred during the open house. May this open
house be the first of many gatherings over the coming years in the Yoder
House!

Come to the Annual Meeting On November 13

The fourth annual meeting of the House of Yoder will be held at Penn
Alps in Grantsville, Maryland on Saturday, November 13, 1999 from 11:00
a.m. through mid-afternoon. Agenda items include: a guided tour of the
Yoder House, sharing a breakfast/lunch buffet at the Penn Alps
Restaurant, the annual business meeting, special music, a genealogy
display by Gerald Yoder, and Harvey Yoder of Belleville, PA as the
speaker on the Berks County, PA settlement and movement westward.
Everyone is welcome whether a member of House of Yoder or not. Last
year a record 44 persons gathered for this meeting. Let,s see whether
we can break that record. For those traveling from a distance, consider
spending a night or two in the Grantsville area. Lodging options at
Grantsville include two motels, an inn, and a bed and breakfast: Holiday
Inn (301-895-5993), the Casselman Hotel (301-895-5055), the Elliott
House Victorian Inn (800-272-4090), and the Walnut Ridge Bed and
Breakfast (301-895-4248).

Help Complete the Yoder House!

With the major progress which has been made on the Yoder House
construction over the past year, the treasury is now nearly depleted and
we need more funds to complete the construction. Many of you have given
generously over the past seven years and we look to you again for
whatever you might be able to contribute to finish the Yoder House. It
is already a remarkable structure with the promise for even more as we
complete construction. Can you help us in some way with an immediate
gift or a gift by the end of the year? One way to focus your giving is
around the purchase of doors and windows to complete the house. The
Yoder House will have 8 doors (interior and exterior) and 24 windows.
We have invited donations of $1000 for a door and $500 for a window.
The current state of that fund-raising venture is as follows:

Goal Already Purchased Needed to
Meet Goal

8 doors 3 doors 5
doors
24 windows 6 windows 18 windows

Donors will be honored in a book listing major contributions which will
be on display in the Yoder House. Use the enclosed
membership/contribution form to send your gift to support the Yoder
House. In addition to obtaining or extending memberships, you can
support the cause by purchasing doors, windows, and fireplace stones of
various sizes in the Yoder House. There is also an opportunity to
contribute in memory or honor of a family member such as a parent,
grandparent, or great-grandparent. Remember that all contributions to
the Yoder House Project are tax-deductible.

Did You Know?

At the 3rd Annual Meeting last November Jack Dueck purchased one year
memberships for Shannon and Nicole Yoder, daughters of Lonnie and Teresa
Boshart Yoder, who help their father Lonnie with the assembly and
mailing of each edition of the House of Yoder News. What a wonderful
present and precedent! Consider purchasing House of Yoder memberships
for children, adolescents, and young adults in your family! Another way
to honor the younger members of your family is to purchase a door,
window, or fireplace stone in the Yoder House.

The House of Yoder, Inc.

I/we would like to contribute to the building and operation of the Yoder
House in the following way(s):

A Contribution for a Specific Part of the House (if any of these gifts
are given in the name of someone other than yourself, please specify.
For example, one couple has given two fireplace stones in honor of their
children.)
Total
___ door(s) at $1000 per door ______

___ window(s) at $500 per window ______

___ large fireplace stone(s) at $100 per stone ______

___ medium fireplace stone(s) at $50 per stone ______

___ small fireplace stone(s) at $25 per stone ______

A Memorial/Honor page in recognition of my/our loved one:

I/we would like to contribute $_______ in memory/honor of
_______________________.
(House of Yoder, Inc. will be in communication with you about further
information and pictures to be included on the page. This makes a nice
family project.)

A Membership in House of Yoder, Inc. (you may renew or extend your
membership)

1 YR 5
YRS LIFETIME
Individua ___ $25
___$100 ___$1,000
Couple ___$35
___$150 ___$1,500

A Contribution to the Operating Endowment Fund

I/we would like to contribute $_______ to the Operating Endowment Fund
for House of Yoder, Inc.

NAME _______________________________________

ADDRESS _______________________________________

CITY, STATE, ZIP _______________________________________

PHONE _______________________________________

E-MAIL _______________________________________

Make check payable to The Yoder House Project and mail to:

Lonnie Yoder, Publicity/Membership Coordinator
Yoder House Project
1066 Smith Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: New Directory Added

Thanks to YNL Web Wonder Don Kauffman, a new directory has been added to
the Yoder Homepage at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/bios.html

This section will include copies of early wills, biographical sketches,
and stories out of our Yoder history...

Written contributions are welcome...send to:

cyoder@mail.tds.net

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Oregon Yoder Descendant Appointed Ambassador

Thanks to Jim Yoder for this item of News...

Mary Carlin Yates who has just been appointed ambassador to Burundi
is a descendant of John Plank Yoder (YR12a332, 1846-1894,).
Her husband is already ambassador to Guinea.

John P. Yoder's fourth child was Hattie, who married McDonald Potts, and
Mary is their granddaughter.

Joel Daniels picked this up in last weekend's Portland Oregonian
newspaper... (John P Yoder was my grandfather's brother.)--Jim Yoder

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Updated Info on OH13387- Amos Yoder of Red Bank Twp.

Thanks to: (Margie Myers- pmyers@bright.net)

OH13387 Amos Yoder (5/8/1835 Pa-10/25/1916 of "heart disease and
indigestion" at age 81y 5m 17d at Red Bank Twp., Armstrong Co.,Pa,
bur. 10/27/1916 at Pierce, Pa. by J.F. Sloan of Hawthorne, Pa)
m. Lydia Klock (7/17/1850 Pa- 9/5/1934 age 84y 1m 19d at Red Bank Twp,
Armstrong Co., Pa, died of "myocardites" and "arterio sclerosis",
bur. Pierce, Pa 9/7/1934 by H.H. Sloan of Hawthorne, Pa)(dau.of Abraham
Klock and Judith ____) res. Red Bank Twp., Armstrong Co, stonemason
bur. Hawthorne PA, Clarion Co. (Margie Myers- pmyers@bright.net)
(1880 & 1900 Cens- Armstrong Co, Red Bank Twp)
OH133871- Mary C. b. c1870
OH133872- Rabecca J. b. c1875
OH133873- Azor H. b. c1876
OH133874- Martha V. b. c1879
(Mattie m. w1 Harry Albert Myers d. 1902)
OH133875- Oscar b.
OH133876- Tena b. 9/8/1880 Brookville,Pa m. w2 Harry Albert Myers,
d. 12/31/1943 Butler, Pa.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: 1920 California Yoder Census

Thanks so much to Jim Yoder, we have just added the 1920 California Yoder Census extract
to the "ftp" files at the Yoder archives...

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/CENSUS/CA-1920.doc

It will subsequently be placed as HTML in the census section.

Volunteers like Jim, make it possible to continue to expand the information available to
all Yoder researchers.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Edward Yoder, Paulding County, O

Can anyone help on this?

I'm looking for information on Yoder's. I have a framed Marrieage
Certificate
from Edward Yoder and Amandy Lucas dated June 29, 1898 and issued in
Paulding County
Ohio. I believe she is related to Governer Lucas after whom Lucas county
was named
Robert A. Yoder, Jr. <ryod613@centuryinternet.com>
Mountian Home, Ar USA - Thursday, September 02, 1999 at 14:48:32 (PDT)

>From - Sat Oct 02 18:24:31 1999
Subject: Iowa Yoder Census--1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880

Another set of census records have been loaded to the ftp
directory. These are for the Iowa Yoders of 1850 through
1880.

Visit them at:

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/CENSUS/IA-50-80.doc
These will be subseqeuntly placed in the HTML Census directory as well.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Susan Yoder Cass Co, Iowa

Seeking information on Susan Yoder, married Leander S. Rockwell as
his second wife 1 Oct 1890 in Cass County, IA. It is not known if Yoder
was her maiden name, or if this was a second marriage for her.

Leander S Rockwell was born 10 Mar 1848 in Vermont. His parents were Samuel & Eunice
(Rice)Rockwell. The family moved to Erie County PA circa 1849 and moved to New Sharon,
Mahaska County, IA before 1860. Leander married Naomi C Sanders in Mahaska County IA on
7 Dec 1872. Leander moved to the Corley area of Shelby County in the mid 1870's. In 1887
Naomi died. He may have lived near Wiota IA. While living in Cass Township he may have
had a nephew, Milo Alonzo Rockwell, living with him after Milo's mother died. Leander
died 18 Feb 1928 in Grand Junction, CO. He is said to be buried in the Atlantic Cemetery
in Atlantic, Cass County, IA.

---Vicki King

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Yoder in Ashland, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania area

Can anyone provide any clues on this Yoder line?
LILLIAN K. YODER married JOSIAH C. MARTIN, JR.
(my great grand parents). They were from the Ashland,
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania area. They had two children
EARLE (1896-1985) and ROY (1898-??) EARLE was my
grandfather. He remembered a baby that, was ROY, (I just
found him in church records). LILLIAN died in Philadelphia
in 1899, of Typhoid. My grandfather could not remember
what happened to ROY. So I think he died in infancy, maybe
of Typhoid too.
LILLIAN had a sister ANNA YODER who married a JACOB
SCHUCKER. They had FRANK AND HORACE (1898)
SCHUCKER. FRANK married AGNES AYDERS.
HORACE married CORA N. HUBLER.
I have LILLIAN being raised by a GRUBER family because
her mother died when LILLIAN was 6 months old. She
was raised as a sister to LIZZIE GRUBER.
That is all I have. I'm really at a dead end for now.

From: "Anita N. Nail" <nail@tecinfo.com>

Dear Chris,
Bill Yoder and I (thanks to you) have been communicating since you
gave him my first message. He sent me a copy of the Fred Roy Yoder
book, and I have been so thrilled to have it! Thanks again for that.
It answers so many questions - and I have wanted a copy since a distant
cousin sent me two pages from it years ago.
Now maybe you can help me again. I am trying to work on a DAR
application on Conrad Yoder, and have not been able to find his son Adam
after he moved from Catawba County. The Yoder book states that he went
to Tennessee, and nothing further is known of him, but Fred Roy Yoder
didn't have the Internet or a Web Master! If you would post a query
asking if anyone has (1) proof of the marriage of Adam Yoder and Sally
Davis (2) where Adam could be found after moving from (Catawba) NC and
where he finally settled (3) and most important: can anyone prove that
Adam is the father of Ephraim Yoder/Yother who settled in (Gilmer) GA?
(I wouldn't mind knowing who Sally's family was,
either!)
I have the lists of names from other Yother researchers in GA, but I
want to prove these things for myself. I have never seen thedocuments,
or the proofs cited, and some of the relatives have since passed away.
If I could prove these things, I would be able to submit this research
to add to the update of the Yoder book. I have what is supposed to be
the children of Adam, and all of the children of Ephraim, along with my
particular line. It is a long shot, but someone knows this, and the
Yoder web page is the best way I can think of to get the questions to
the right people. (Please re-phrase this...it doesn't even make sense
to me!)
Thank you so much!!!
Anita Nail

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Proving the Adam Yoder Line Into Georgia

Dear Anita,

You wrote:

[...]

the right people.--- Thank you so much!!!----Anita Nail"
------------------------

Unfortunately, I don't think the "evidence" is good enough
to prove the Adam descent for DAR purposes....

We outlined our case in a YNL article in issue #11 and added to that
in YNL 15 a bit. I believe it is a strong case, but the DAR folk are
very demanding. You may be able to raise some more evidence through
investigation of county records in Tennessee and in Georgia. Please
let me know if you succeed.

As to the Adam Marriage, we speak about this with reference
to the the Zion Church records...and the birth of children to
Adam and his wife...I'll include our article about that as well.

Hopefully some other readers of the listserver can offer
assistance as well---Best regards, Chris

Here're the extracts:

YODER NEWSLETTER

Issue # 11-----------------------------------April , 1988

extract

ADAM YODER..."moved to Tennessee and all traces of him were lost...."

Adam Yoder was the youngest son of Conrad Yoder, founder of the North Carolina
branch of the Yoder family. In the History of the Yoder Family in North Carolina by
Fred R. Yoder (whose obituary appears elsewhere in this issue), Adam's birthdate is
reported from Bible records to have been June 23, 1785. Family tradition states that
Adam moved to Tennessee and "all traces of him were lost". After several years of
gathering and trying to decipher clues, we set out in this article to piece together
what appears to have become of him and his family. We'd like to emphaize that what is
painted here seems a very likely picture, but one which is largely constructed by
inference.

The 1820 North Carolina census shows Adam Yoder and his family living in Haywood
County, North Carolina. Haywood is west of the Yoder settlement in Catawba County, and
closer to the border with Tennessee. In the 1830 census, Adam is not listed in North
Carolina, nor is he found in any of the adjoining counties.

Col. George Yoder, Civil War veteran and historian of the North Carolina Yoder
family, reported that Adam had married a Sallie Davis. Buford Yother of LaFayette GA has
found a reference to a Daniel Yother who married an Elender Davis on Feb. 24, 1807 in
"Marriage Bonds of Tyron and Lincoln Counties NC". Conrad did have a son named Daniel,
but he was married to Elizabeth Cline well before that date. Could this record have
referred to Adam?

Unidentified Yoders appear in northern Georgia beginning with the 1840 census. In
Lumpkin County, a John, Ephraim and an Adam are shown. In Gilmer County, there is a
David Yeoder. A George Yother is listed in Hall County. The Adam is too young to have
been Conrad's son. With David Yeoder, an aged male (70 to 80 years old) is recorded, but
he is too old to have been Adam (he may have been a father-in-law?).

The 1850 census is the first one in which the format provides for listing
information about each member of the family. It shows a David, George, Jefferson, Jason,
and Ephraim Yother in Gilmer County, and a John and "Edmund" (called "Adam" in the 1870
census) in Lumpkin County, also with the last name spelled Yother. The "Yother" spelling
is not without precedence in the North Carolina line. In addition to the 1807 marriage
record, in the first U.S. census of the 1790 (taken after Conrad had died) the widow
"Catherine Yother" is listed as head of the family.

The first generation male Yother/Yoder line of Georgia is shown on the chart
included with this article. The data displayed in the chart is based census information
and assorted records to include some gathered from current day descendants of these
lines. An interesting picture emerges. We know that Conrad's son Adam was still in NC as
of 1820. We also know that he reportedly "moved to Tennessee" at some time. The older
males in this outline were all born in North Carolina between about 1807 and 1822. The
youngest of these from the 1850 census, Jason, was born about 1827 in Tennessee. This
matches the pattern of migration for Adam. No other Yoder/Yother branch is known
to have been in NC at the appropriate time. The oldest male's birth is consistent with
the Yother/Davis marriage date. (Note: According to Janet Gibson of Atlanta GA, one
granddaughter of John D. Yother told of hearing that the family name was once spelled
"Yoder").

The Tennessee census records don't show any Yoders/ and Yothers in either 1830 or
1840. The only Yoder in the 1850 census for that state is a son of one of Adam's
brothers. Several pre-1840 references appear for members of this apparent family in
Georgia. During the Florida War of 1836-7, an Ephraim Yoder served with the Mounted
Volunteers, Nelson's Battalion from Georgia. In the War of 1837-8, Adam, Ephraim and
John Yoder served Company C of the Georgia Mounted Volunteers. Early marriage records
for Lumpkin County report that on Aug. 1,1838, Ephraim Yother married Susan Mathews, and
on Nov. 22, 1839, John Yother married Anna Blackstock. A later census record for John D.
Yother reports that both his father and mother were born in North Carolina, a fact which
corresponds with Adam and Sallie Yoder.

Although we have no information at this point to confirm that Adam, son of Conrad, was
the father of any of these Georgia Yothers, it would certainly seem very possible based
on the clues assembled to this point. We welcome any information or hints our readers
may have to offer which could help prove or disprove this specuation!
(Our appreciatian to the following folk who helped with bits and pieces to make up this
analysis: Buford Yother, LaFayette GA; Janet Gibon, Atlanta GA; Marsha Pearson, Healdton
OK, and John Klelber, Ceres CA.)

YODER NEWSLETTER

Issue 15 -----------------------------------------------------April, 1990

Z ION LUTHERAN CHURCH RECORDS
ON EARLY NORTH CAROLINA YODER BIRTHS

Thanks to H . A. Yoder of Charlotte , N . C., we are able to share the following
information on early Yoder births. These records are from the Zion Lutheran Church near
Hickory, N.C. and were published in Catawba Cousins.

"Daniel Yoder and his wife Elizabetha a daughter Saloma, born 14 May 1809 baptized (no
date). Sponsor Utilla Yoder.

"Adam Yoder and his wife Sally a son John George born 9 July 1811.

"Daniel Yoder and his wife Elizabeth a son Daniel born 27 July 1811.

"Elias Yoder and his wife Utilla a son Simeon Jonas born 2 l September 1812 .

"Adam Yoder and his wife Sally a son Adam born 12 December 1813. "

As with all bits and pieces of the Yoder genealogical jigsaw puzzle, these items need to
be evaluated in light of facts known or points speculated. From these few dates, there
are several items worth bringing to the attention of students of this line.

First, regarding Adam Yoder . . . the " lost" son of Conrad... In YNL #11,
beginning on page l, an analysis was presented of the data then at hand regarding Adam
and of the plausible connection with the subsequent Yother records in Georgia and points
West.
These church records cite two sons for Adam and his wife Sally (Davis?). The son
John George (b. 7/9/1811) roughly corresponds to the George Yother (b.c 1809) shown on
the Georgia Yother chart (page 6, YNL 11). The son Adam (b. 12/12/1813) roughly
corresponds to the Adam Yother (aka Edmund) from that chart. While certainly not a
proof, these birth records further support the Adam Yoder/Georgia Yother speculations.
For Daniel and Elias, both early immigrants to southern Indiana, a full family
record has only recently be located for Elias (thanks to Mr. Lula Vaughn, Bunker Hill,
IL --- see YNL #l0 page 7). The above record for son "Simeon Jonas" , "born 21
September 1812" is off by a few days from the family record obtained by Mrs. Vaughn
(Sept.18,1812).
For Daniel, the 1820 Indiana Census gives sex and approximate dates of birth for
seven children. No listing of these children has come to light, although with further
study, it may be possible to present some analysis in a future YNL. For now, it is
sufficient to say that the record of Bartholomew Co., IN show a marriage for an
otherwise unlinked "Sally Yoder" on 22 Nov. 1825 to one Labein Banister. Was this
Daniel's daughter Saloma (b.5/14/1809) who was sponsored by "Utilla Yoder" (Elias'
wife.. Utilla Hahn)? The 1820 census showed three male children born 1810-1820... was
Daniel (Jr.?) one of them?

From: Lonnie Yoder <ltby@shentel.net>
Subject: [YODER] 4th Annual House of Yoder Meeting

Fourth Annual Meeting of House of Yoder, Inc.

House of Yoder,Inc., a non-profit organization building a Yoder House in a
colonial-era style at Spruce Forest Artisan Village in Grantsville,
Maryland, will hold its fourth annual meeting at Penn Alps in Grantsville
on Saturday, November 13, 1999 beginning at 11 a.m. Agenda items include:
sharing a brunch at the Penn Alps Restaurant, a tour of the Yoder House, a
short business meeting and input from a speaker, Harvey Yoder. Yoder will
speak on the Yoder settlement in Berks County, Pennsylvania and then the
movement westward. House of Yoder, Inc. is currently nearing completion of
the building of the Yoder House under the leadership of a ten member
executive committee. The house will contain Yoder-related historical
documents, genealogical data, and family artifacts. All interested
persons, especially those with the Yoder name and/or Yoder ancestry, are
welcome at the annual meeting. For further information, contact Lonnie
Yoder.

Lonnie D. Yoder
Publicity/Membership Chair, House of Yoder, Inc.
1066 Smith Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
540-432-4272 (daytime), 540-432-6467(evening)
e-mail: ltby@shentel.net

From: Agnes B Yount <alby6@juno.com>

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:58:51 -0500 (EST) KarenFrancis@webtv.net (Karen
Francis) writes:
>I would be very interested i attendiing the meeting, I am a descendant
>of Yost Yoder. I need directions to the Yoder house. I live in Berks
>County..
>

>Thanks
>Karen

Dear Karen,

Probably the best route from Reading is to take either Interstate 78 or
Interstate 76 west to Harrisonburg, and then Interstate 81 south to
Hagerstown, MD. Then take Interstate 70 west to Hancock, MD and then
Interstate 68 west to Grantsville, MD. Watch for the exit sign to
Grantsville, MD (Exit 19). Then go right on Alt. US 40 for a short
distances to Penn Alps which is on the left side of the road just after
crossing the Casselman River bridge.

Best Regards,
Ray Yount

From: KarenFrancis@webtv.net (Karen Francis)
Subject: Re: [YODER] 4th Annual House of Yoder Meeting

From: DOrner1065@aol.com

I missed the original message as well, and I would be very interested in
seeing the complete text. Thanks.

From: Xbelfast@aol.com

I seemed to have missed the original message in this thread, would someone
please repost it.

Stephen Sheil
http://www.abnc.com/genie.htm

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

Sale of the "hard copy" Yoder newsletters are our only means of financial support to pay
for our web-site, copying, periodic contributions to various YODER Family Projects,
issuance and/or republishing of hardcopy bound volume (next one to come out after issue
number 50...about 8 years away, however we'll likely need to reprint the compilation of
Issues 1-25 sometime within the next two years).

At $3 for two issues a year...we have NEVER raised our price since our launch in 1983.
Why not look over your Yoder Family Xmas list as make a part of their Christmas a two
year ($6) subscription!!!

Visit and print off the order form at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/subscrib.html

And mail it on in to Goshen....Be sure to write in that you'd like to begin the
subscription with issue number 35 (October 99) so folks don't have to wait until next
April for their first edition.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best regards,

Chris Yoder
Editor

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

Correction... when you specify that the gift should start with the OCT
99 issue...it is YNL 34 NOT 35...sorry--Chris

==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "Donald D. Kauffman" <dkauffma@telusvelocity.net>
Subject: [YODER] Announcing - 53kMO Project

Announcing:

53kMO Project -- 53,000 MENNONITE OBITUARIES
from the Herald of Truth (1864-1905), Gospel Witness (1906-1907), and
Gospel Herald (1908-1998); weekly newspapers of the Mennonite Church in
North America and elswhere.

This is a project "under development" and very much in need of volunteer
transcribers. Approximately one percent of the 53k obituaries are now
online. If your ancestoral lines go back into the Amish, Amish-Mennonite, or
Mennonite Church (MC), then there may be something here for you.

When this project is complete it will contain obituaries of hundreds of
Yoders, online and accessible from the comfort of your own computer chair.
Ask me how you can help.

More information in the website. Contact Don Kauffman
(dkauffma@telusvelocity.net) for more information.

From: "Charles W. Carey" <cwcarey@earthlink.net>
Subject: [YODER] William Yoder & Elizabeth Jennings

Dear YODER-L cousins,

I am passing the query below on to you on the chance that somebody may be
able to help this person. I believe she saw a post I made on the PABRADFO-L
regarding my wife's Jennings ancestors. Please reply to her at:

Jmak777@aol.com

Thank you,
Chuck Carey

From: Bob Strock <bostrock@bright.net>
Subject: [YODER] Wayne County Ohio Court Case

Chris,

It's interesting to see Jerry's name on the list. I was a scorekeeper for him back in
the late 40's or early 50''s.

If you would like, you could give him my e-mail address

Bob Strock bostrock@bright.net

------

--
Bob & Esther Strock, Dalton, OH. On the edge of Amish Country. Researching family
history in Holmes, Medina, Stark, Summit, Wood, Wayne and other Counties of Ohio.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Lycoming County Yoders

Thanks to Kathryn Yoder Cowher for contributing information which lead to the following
break-through in Lycoming County, Pa. We were able to apply census and other records to
expand on the information provided. We are looking for more substantiation, particularly
on the early generations, but the data clearly allows us to tie together a large array
of Lycoming County Yoders who were not previously connected. The update will appear in
the next cyclic revison to the "unlinked2.doc" file on our Yoder Archives Homepage
(around New Years). If anyone can help fill in the data in this file, please advise.

---Chris Yoder, YNL
CG- Johannes Jacob Yeater ( - ) m
"Came to America with son Andrew and wife from the Palatinate, on ship
Restoration, docked in Philadelphia Oct. 9, 1747"- (References: "Genealogical
Helps for Blockhouse Area-- Volume 1 Jackson Twp, Lycoming Co and
Liberty Twp, Tioga Co. Pa")
+CG1- Andrew

CG1- Andrew Yoder ( - ) m.
"Andrew Yoder Sr- 10th Pa Calvary, Colonel Co." 1776-1781
(Ref-"Genealogical Helps")
+CG11- Andrew (2/1/1776-c1831)

CG11- Andrew Yoder Jr. (2/1/1776-c1831) m.
"Came with son Henry to Jackson Twp in 1831" "Andrew Yoder
Jr, wife and children settled in warrant 1661 on 65 acres of land.
Their children were: Henry 30, John B. 22, Daniel 11. Andrew
died before the squatters rights ended, so Henry got the deed".
(Ref-"Genealogical Helps")
+CG111- Henry (7/8/1800-1876)
+CG112- John B. (5/21/1809-9/1/1880) m1. Catherine Benner
(1819- ) m2. Marion
CG113- Daniel (c1820- )

CG111- Henry (7/8/1800-1876) m.
(Ref-"Genealogical Helps"; 1860-Lycoming,Cogan House;
?1840- Monroe Co as "Yetter")
+CG1111- Samuel (10/17/1832-7/30/1893) m. Christina Weaver
(1831-4/23/1905)
+CG1112- John (1836- ) m. Margaret Beck (1841- )
+CG1113- Henry (4/6/1838-8/8/1882) m. Eliza Jane _____
(1838-9/8/1882) (1860-Lycming, Cogan House as "Yutter")
CG1114- Isaac (1840- ) m. Helen _______

CG1111- Samuel Yoder (10/17/1832-7/30/1893) m. Christina Weaver
(8/-/1832 (per cens) or 1831-4/23/1905) (Ref-"Genealogical Helps";
1860-Lycoming,Cogan House as "Yetter", 1900-Cogan Twp-Christina
"living alone")
+CG11111-John (6/11/1857-2/19/1885) m. 6/19/1879 Regina Fable
(12/15/1862-4/6/1892)
+CG11112-William W. (1/5/1859- ) m1 4/9/1889 Sadie Gruver
( -4/9/1889) m2 3/31/1891 Hannah Brocious (5/12/1859-
11/22/1907)
+CG11113-Samuel (12/20/1860-4/23/1933) m. 4/12/1883
Cecelia Drumater (1863- )
+CG11114-Charles F. (2/20/1861- ) m. Mazie Reeser ( - )
CG11115- Adam (5/3/1864- )
CG11116- Katharine (5/31/1865- ) m Sam. Kissinger ( - )
CG11117- Mary ( 1864- ) m. 4/11/1886 ____ Myers

CG11111-John Yoder (6/11/1857-2/19/1885) m. 6/19/1879 Regina Fable
(12/15/1862-4/6/1892) (Ref-"Genealogical Helps")
GC111111- Margaret (4/26/1881-1918) m. Clement Knipe (3/16/1880-
12/23/1918)

CG11112-William W. Yoder (1/5/1859- ) m1 4/9/1889 Sadie Gruver
( -4/9/1889) m2 3/31/1891 Hannah Brocious (5/12/1859-
11/22/1907) (Ref-"Genealogical Helps", 1900-Lycoming Co,
Cogan House Twp)
CG111121- Forrest (6/24/1893-2/-/1982) m. Hannah ____
CG111122- Helen (1/11/1895-2/6/1946) m. William Antes (5/31/1890- )
+CG111123- Ernest (9/13/1896-1/-/1965) m. 1/25/1914 Ruth Mase (4/21/1894-
4/-/1974)
CG111124- Edna (1904- ) m. Earl Krotzer (3/18/1900-1963)
CG111125- Earl (8/8/1899- ) m. Bertha Bush ( - )

CG111123- Ernest Yoder (9/13/1896-1/-/1965) m. 1/25/1914 Ruth Mase
(4/21/1894-4/-/1974)
(Ref. "Genealogical Helps")
CG1111231- Charles W. (7/19/1914- ) m. 10/13/1940
Margaret Waldron (11/7/1916- )
CG1111232- Esther (3/5/1921- ) m. 2/20/1938
Clair Rogers (6/29/1919- )
CG1111233- Mary L. (6/29/1925- ) m. 5/9/1945
Kieth Raker (2/29/1924- )
CG1111234- Eleanor (11/23/1927- ) m. 11/9/1945
James Hamilton (6/21/1926- )
CG1111235- Lesslie (2/28/1931- ) m. 10/11/1952
Joan Watkins (12/22/1930- )
CG1111236- Arnold (7/28/1932- ) m. 6/10/1950
Jane Alexander (11/8/1933- )
CG1111237- Betty (2/26/1935- ) m. 10/7/1953
Lawrence Mase (11/6/1934- )

CG11113-Samuel Yoder (12/20/1860-4/23/1933) m. 4/12/1883
Cecelia Drumater (1863- ) (Ref-"Genealogical Helps",
1900- Lycoming Co, Jackson Twp)
CG111131- Harvey (8/25/1884-2/23/1935) m. Anna Artley ( - )
CG111132- Edgar (10/13/1887-11/25/1951) m. Charlotte Beck
(11/13/1887-11/22/1962)
CG111133- Ida (9/12/1890-3/19/1960) m. Charles Antes (11/13/1880-
)

CG11114-Charles F. Yoder (2/20/1861- ) m. Mazie Reeser ( - )
(Ref. "Genealogical Helps"; 1900-Pa Lycoming, Gamble Twp)
CG111141-Vida (12/-/1891- ) m. ____ Mays
CG111142-Verus (m) (9/9/1894-10/-/1963) m. _____ Bider
CG111143- Theron (12/28/1906-10/15/1991)

CG1112- John Yoter (1836- ) m. c 1860 Margaret Beck (1841- )
(1860- Lycoming, Jackson Twp- "married within the year" farmer;
1880- Lycoming, Jackson twp witn Agnes Beck age 6, as "John Yoter Jr")
CG11121- Clara J. (c1863- )
CG11122- Catharine S. (c1864- )
CG11123- Charles A. (c1869- )

CG1113- Henry Yutter (4/6/1838-8/8/1882) m. Eliza Jane _____
(1838-9/8/1882) (1860-Lycming, Cogan House as "Yutter")
CG11131- Laura A. (c1859- )

CG112- John B. Yoder (5/21/1809-9/1/1880) m1. Catherine Benner
(1819- ) m2. Marion (Margaret (9/-/1840- )
(Ref: "Genealogical Helps"; 1840- Lyc. Jackson Twp- 2m<5, 1m 5-10,
John and wife age 20-30; 1850- Lyc. Jack Twp; 1860 Lyc. Jack. Twp
as "Yetter", 1900 Census)
CG1121- ?James (c1831- ) in fam 1850
CG1122- Jacob (4/17/1833-4/12/1839)
CG1123- Samuel (10/19/1834- )
?????- 1850 census shows "John Lytler"- "farmer" in family b. c1834
boarder? son?
CG1124- Henry (3/19/1839- ) (c1836 per 1850 cens)
CG1125- B.? (f) (c1838- ) (in family 1850 census)
CG1126- Bennie (1847- ) ("Benevil" in 1860)
+CG1127- William W. (4/-/1851- ) m. Rachel (10/-/1862- )

CG1127- William W. Yoder (4/-/1851- ) m1 Eliz (c1851- )
m2 . Rachel (10/-/1862- )
(1880, 1900- Lycoming, Cogan House Twp)
CG11271- Warren (c1870- )
CG11272- Norman (c1872- ) (?aka Gideon)
CG11273- William (c1874- )
CG11274- Murrey (c1876- )
???
CG11275- Robert (2/-/1886- )
CG11276- Jennings (11/-/1898- )

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Yoder Newsletter 34 Posted on Website

YNL34, mailed out to subscribers in early October, has benn placed in
electronic form as both html as well as in the ftp directory.

Come see the html version at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/YNL/ynl34.html

(Thanks to YNL Wenwonder Donald Kauffman).

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Family Circle Magazine-Nov. 1, 1999

Thanks to Joel Daniels of Canby, Oregon for pointing out
an article on page 20 of this Family Circle magazine.

I highlights the twice a month lucheon for the people of
Yoder, Oregon which began 50 years ago. The Women's Fellowship
of the Smyrna United Church of Christ cook the lunch and use
it as one means of raising funds for charities.

Yoders are prominent among the cooks and organizers of this
on-going event.

Take a look at this Family Circle issue in your local library for more
news and photos.

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Query- North Dakota Yoders

Can any of you Oregon Yoder cousins respond to this query?

--------------------
Hi,
Love your newsletter. I have not seen much research on the Yoder's in
North Dakota. My grandmother is Edna Mary Yoder b. 13 Mar 1902, Pierce Co.,
North Dakota, m. Richard Marcus Zilla, d. 22 Apr 1992, Missoula, MT.
Parents John and Lydia Yoder. Thanks for your help. Reply to Mark
Matthews, markem2@msn.com

-------
Added by YNL below:

YR2344342- John A. Yoder (6/1/1868-7/11/1952) m. 1895 Lydia Yoder
(YR26886-) (2/19/1873-3/_/1946) (per Rachel Kreider- "first Am. Menn to decide
to go to N. Dakota") not Amish (ATY83)
YR23443421- Max Bess (8/18/1896-9/__/1977 res Or (SSN)) m.
Frances Guss ( - ) res. Corvalis,Or (ATY84)
(? SSN- Max- b. 8/12/1896-9/_/1977 res. Or)
YR23443422- Elizabeth (6/28/1898-1/14/1984) in a home in Ore.
YR23443423- Edna J. (3/13/1902 Pierce Co, ND-4/22/1992 Missoula,
MT) m. Richard Marcus Zilla ( - ) res. Darby,Mt (ATY85)
(ref: Mark Matthews, markem2@msn.com-11/99)
YR23443424- Doris (6/2/1912- ) m.
Elmer Humber ( - ) res. Corvalis,Or (ATY86)

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: [YODER] YODER-D Digest V99 #82

Friend5875@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone have information on Byron Yoder?
> First wife (unknown)
> they had a son Byron, Jr., that lived in Hawaii
> and a daughter Mary Beck, that lived in Willmington, Del. in 1960
> Second wife was Euthecia Ruth (Veino) Goodhue.
> b. 1902 in VT
> m. after 1952 in MO.
> d. 1960 in MO.
> Thank you,
> Cindy

> Have you visited the YODER NEWSLETTER ARCHIVES lately?
> http://www.yodernewsletter.org/

Hi, the social security death index at:

http://www.ancestry.com/ancestry/search.asp

List the following folk..one's a Junior:

BYRON
YODER
27
Apr
1918
Apr
1987
45503 Springfield,
Clark, OH

295-22-4858
OH
(Before
1951)

BYRON
YODER
24
Sep
1922
Aug
1988
08109 Camden,
Camden, NJ

154-18-9432
NJ
(Before
1951)

BYRON
YODER
JR
7 Aug
1915
Mar
1983
44256 Brunswick,
Medina, OH

280-09-9418
OH
(Before
1951)

From: "ginseng" <ginseng@neo.rr.com>
Subject: [YODER] ND Yoder's

From: JAMES GRANT YODER <jyoder@telus.net>
Subject: North Dakota Yoders

Hi, Mark:

I am not sure if you are only looking for specific connections to your
grandmother, or if your interest is more general.

I don,t know if this will be helpful to you, but Harvey Hostetler,s big
[1391 page] genealogy book "Descendants of Barbara Hochstetler and
Christian Stutzman" [published in 1938] is indexed by state and post
office and lists several Yoders in North Dakota:

DBH 2702 (also DJH 4963) Moses F. Yoder was the son of Jeremiah "Jerry"
Yoder [YR261169, born Somerset Co., PA, 2/20/1856, d. at Arthur, IL
6/23/1903, who on 1/22/1882 married Fannie Bender [BD83; DBH4962; b.
PA 7/23/1854]. Moses m. Hannah Graber [b.11/4/1882; d. 6/28/1927]
on 3/23/1905 at Mylo, N.D. They lived at Grass Lake, ND in 1911, and
Moses was living at Wolford, ND in 1938.
Their children were:
Albert Yoder, b. Mylo, ND, 9/13/1905; m. Edna King [b. 12/24/1903,
Garden City, MO]; in 1938 were living at Kenmare, ND; Mennonites.
Their children included Vernon [b.1927], Clarence [b. 1930], as well as
Bernard and Viola who died as infants.
Sylvan Yoder, b. 3/4/1907.
Fannie Yoder, b. 8/22/1908.
Katie Yoder, b. 1/31/1911.
Henry Yoder, b. 6/29/1913.
Rosy Yoder, b. 10/16/1916.
Peter Yoder, b. 1/9/1919.

There are also the following:
DBH7567 Reuben Yoder, m. Amanda Bontrager, living at Rogers, ND in
1938
DBH7569 Amanda Yoder, m Harry Bontrager, living at Sanborn, ND in
1938
DBH9443 Verda Yoder, m. E.E.Roberts, living at Kenmare, ND in 1938.
DBH14966, George A. Yoder, b. 1855 in PA, d. at Calio, ND 9/7/1924; m.
Mary Miller [DBH11439] at Middlebury, Indiana in 1876; he was a justice
of the peace in ND; A son, Edwin moved to Michigan, daughters Elnora to
Indiana, Elizabeth to Michigan, Edna Pearl to Indiana.

Also in the 1911 "Descendants of Jacob Hochstetler" [by Harvey
Hostetler, 1191 pages;(Jacob was father to Barbara in the other book)]
there are:

DJH 1835 Amanda Stahley and Amos B. Yoder of Gwinner, ND
DJH 5594 Joseph H. Yoder and Catherine Schlabach of Mylo, ND
DJH6858 Israel M. Yoder & Elizabeth King, of Surrey, ND
DJH6875 John H. Yoder & Rhoda A. Kauffman, of Wolford, ND

The Moses Yoder data is a sample of what is available. Let me know if
any information on these other names is of interest to you.

Jim Yoder

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Several New Census Records Posted

Have posted the following census records to the ftp file at:

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/CENSUS/

For:

Alabama-----1870
Arkansas----1860
Idaho-------1910

Michigan----1880

From: KarenFrancis@webtv.net (Karen Francis)
Subject: [YODER] Re: Centerport, Pa

What was the name of the Inn in Centerport? I live in Berks County and
may be able to get more information for you from the Berks County
Historical Society, they have lots of pictures and other information
about the area.

Karen
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: Gifford Thomas <gthomas@island.net> (by way of ginseng@neo.rr.com)
Subject: [YODER] {not a subscriber} Christian Yoders

Thise person is not a subscriber. Please send any replies to her email
address. gthomas@island.net

Elizabeth Yoder (b. 1749) married Christian Hertzler and they had three
daughters who married Christian Yoders - Butcher Christ, Cooper Christ, and
Keifer Yoder. Does anyone know what a keifer does?

Thanks,
Alice Thomas
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: "Le Anne Boynton" <lboynton@bendcable.com>
Subject: Oregon Yoders

Hello Chris,
Frank Elwood Yoder married Margaret Ellene Montgomery, January 25, 1933 =
in Multnomah Co. Oregon. They were divorced c May 1933. Frank then =
married Zella ? 1904-1992 Oakridge, Lane Co Oregon. He was her second =
marriage. No children.

Margaret Ellene Montgomery born November 24, 1912, Deerhorn, Lane Co. =
Oregon, she died Sept. 19, 1972, Bend, Deschutes Co. Oregon. Her second =
marriage was to Robert Wright McCreary[1913-1980]. No children.

I was born Leatrice Anne Yoder, November 24, 1932, Portland, Multnomah =
Co Oregon.

I understand that E.W.or Brownie was married twice and had at least one =
son. He lived at Marcola, Lane Co. Oregon.

I had heard that Lloyd lived at Junction City, Lane Co. Oregon.

Any further information let me know. I have documents also.

Regards,
Le Anne Boynton
lboynton@bendcable.com

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] On This Day In Yoder History- 3 DECEMBER

On this Day in Yoder History-

3 & 4 December 1762--Conrad Yother/Yoder leased a
tract of land from Henry Weidner.

3 Dec. 1761- YRB1- Christian "County Line" Yoder was
born in Pennsylvania to Yost Yoder.

From: Semcgibbon@aol.com
Subject: [YODER] comment to John Parfitt's entry

I just received an email from John Parfitt with his descendency line today
and I had some differences in my line and wondered which is correct. I too
descended from Ulli Joder on down, but when he got to Jost to Caspar to
Balthasar, I had another generation in there.
Jost Joder (b1387)
son Caspar Joder (b?)
son Caspar Joder II (b?) m. Margaret (Meya) Moser
son Balthasar Joder (b1525) m. Anna Jost
son Caspar Joder III (b1548) M. Anni Moser
son Caspar Joder IV (24 Feb. 1571) m. Margaretha Hennig
then my line goes to son Niclaus Joder (b26 Mar 1609) who also m. an Anna
Trachsel.
son Adam Joder (b 22nd of either July or Sep 1650) m. Barbara Ochsenbein
son Jost (Yost) Yoder (b 5 Oct 1679) m. Elizabeth (?)
son Jacob Yoder (b 1729 or 1735) m. Maria Keim
son Daniel Yoder (b1758) m. Esther Hoch (High)
son David Yoder (b1795) m. Catharina Weidner
daughter Catharine Yoder (b1829) m. David Fridley
son Alonzo Fridley (27 Dec 1850 or 1851) and Barbara Effie Kuney
son Burton Alfred Fridley (b 19 Apr 1872) m. Margaret May Swartz
son DeGarmo Henry Fridley (b 21 May 1895) m. Marie Lois Mitchell
son Wayne Burton Fridley m. Emily Irene Williams
daughter Cynthia Ann Fridley m. Steven McGibbon

Anyone have anything different? There actually needs to be more generations
between Jost and Balthasar according to the dates I have. Is anyone aware of
any? Please let me know if what I have so far appears correct. Thanks so much!

I am very much enjoying this genealogical mode of communication.
Cindy McGibbon

From: DOrner1065@aol.com
Subject: Re: [YODER] comment to John Parfitt's entry

Cindy:

My data agrees with yours. I have Caspar b. 1500 m. Marget (sp?) Moser b.
1500.

--Debra Orner
Johnstown, PA

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] David W. Yoter

Bonnie,

We have your David W. as "G38" below. If you'll look at the lead article in YNL32,
you'll see our outline on Martin Yoter (OH112). At the very end of this article, I
speculate that your John may well have been the second child of Martin (if so his code
number would be OH1122) and give some of the reasoning supporting this speculation.

I hope that one day we can prove or disprove it!

Best wishes,

Chris Yoder, YNL

G- John Yoter b. 11/13/1785 m. Charlotte Chritzman (c1785-
1858 age 73 bur. Ridge Ch. of Breth, "half way fr. Shippenburg to
Newburg, Ridge Rd branches East off Rte 696. A short distance beyond,
Ridge Ch/cemetery caps the ridge ofn the east"(will of Christian G. Chritzman
of Gettysburg w/ 4/13/1841 p/ 3/22/1844 mentions dau. Charlotte md John Yotter)
d. 5/27/1847 near Shippenburg. bur Dunker Cem. Huntsdale,PA
"moved from Taneyville, MD in 1802 (sic) to Cumberland Co,PA"
Cem. record; a grandson was Lutheran. )
G1- Josiah b. d. "in the west" living as of father's estate 6/10/1847
? 1850 Ohio CS Co.-152, ? Nashville, OH Area Cem. Holmes Co J.W.Yoter d. 1882 age 68
G2- John G. (c1823-1864 age 41 bur. Ridge Ch. cem) m. Leah M.( Mary)
_____ (c1837-1865 age 28) res. Shippensburg (1860 Franklin Co, S. Hampton Twp)
+G3- Hezekiah b. c1814

G3- Hezekiah Yoter m. Catherine Bear (c1813- 1895) Lutheran, farmer d. Feb.1870
"age 54, of consumption" N. Middleton Twp., Cumberland Co.,PA
G31- Maria b. c1838 res. W. Pennsboro Twp.
?Maria Yoter m. 1855 B.F. Mentzer, Cumberland Co.
G32- John C. b. c1840 res N. Middleton Twp.
G33- Hezekiah b. c1843 res Plainfield
G34- Fannie b. res. S. Middleton Twp.
+G35- Samuel B. b. c1844 m. Ellen _____ res. N. Middleton Twp.
G36- Joseph L. b. 1846 m1. 1869 Caroline Waggoner ( -
12/12/1873 age 26y 0m 18d bur. Lutheran and Reformed (Salem) Stone Church
Graveyard, Cumberland Co) m2. 1896 Nancy Finkenbinder
res. Plainfield , Lutheran, 1s 1d
G37- Charlotte C. b. c1847 res. N. Middleton Twp.
G38- David W. b. 1852 m. Mary M. ___ res. Chambersburg
G39- Benjamin b. died infancy

From: "Anita N. Nail" <nail@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Conrad Yoder

Chris,
I just found this yesterday it the library, and wonder if it is
common knowledge?
- William L. Sherrill, ANNALS OF LINCOLN COUNTY, NC (Charlotte, NC: N.
pub., 1937) p. 8: "Volume 8 of Colonial Records [of NC] states that
Henry Weidner came from Pennsylvania about 1745 and settled on Henry
River, named for him, that he lived at peace with his Indian neighbors
and was a trapper. Later he went back to Pennsylvania, married to Mary
Mull, and returned to Henry River with her and a youth named CONRAD
YODER. These were certainly the first Dutch settlers in the larger
Lincoln County." This helps me understand the lifelong connection with
the Mulls and the Weidners.

I will take this opportunity to list my lineage to Conrad Yoder:

Conrad Yoder m Catherine Huffman
Adam Yoder m Sally Davis
Ephraim Yoder/Yother m Susanah Matthews
Martha Mary Yother m William "Bill" Elliott
Mary Matilda "Tilda" Elliott m William "Jasper" Painter
Clarence Shufford Painter Minton m Juanita Victoria
Henson
Private
Anita Lynn Newsom

I am still searching for proof of parentage for Adam and Sally and their
son Ephraim. After 1820, when Adam is shown on the (Haywood) NC census,
it is said he moved to TN. If anyone has knowledge or proof of their
whereabouts after 1820, or where Adam and Sally settled and died, I
would like to hear from them.
Anita Nail
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [Fwd: [YODER] Re: YODER Roll Call]

Your chart matches the conclusions of Kreider and Gingerich in
their classic stuudy "Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies"..

The cite a "tradition in the Plank family that the three Plank brother,
Jacob, Chrisian, and John , sons of Melchior Plank, married three Yoder
sisters, Mary, Barbara, and Magdalena. This is the only known Amish
Yoder family into which these three sisters would fit."

In the listings of the family group for YRB, these daughters are each
listed with a single "?"...meaning this is the concluded PROBABLE
placement for these girls. We perpetuate this "?" into the family group
provided in the Yoder Homepage.

Hope this helps.
Best regards, Chris Yoder

Here's my line (maybe):

1. Yost Yoder (YRB)
2. Barbara Yoder (YRB3) 1766?-1850 m. Christian Plank
3. Samuel Plank 1808-1878 m. Juliana Hertzler
4. Samuel W. Plank 1850-1891 m. Elizabeth Wilhelm
5. Kathryn Plank 1882-1939 m. Samuel Winans Carey
6. David Howard Carey 1907-1984 m. Jeanette Allen Walker
7. me - Charles Warren Carey 1937-

Note -- I'm not sure of this lineage. The info available to my branch of
the family showed Christian Plank as being married to a Barbara Yoder who
was the daughter of a Christian Yoder (YR12?). Perhaps they have that
Christian confused with his son Christian (YR122) who married a Barbara
HERTZLER (1776-1846). Our Barbara's birthdate is shown as 1776 in our
genealogies, which may explain some of this confusion. If anybody "out
there" has any clues, I'd love to hear from you! (I took the info on
Barbara and Christian Plank above from files on the Yoder web site.)

Chuck Carey
==== YODER Mailing List ====

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Yoder Book available

Received the following from Ruth Baker...her address and details follows.
If you have questions, her email address is: rfbaker@desupernet.net
-----------------------
Hi Crist

The Book I wrote on the Descendants of my great-grandparents Samuel K. and Leah
(Yoder) Yoder, Jonathan N. and Leah (Yoder) Yoder, and Eli Z. and Susanna (Yoder) Yoder
is finished. They all go back to YR2. I enjoyed doing it I hope the people like it. If
you would like a book you may send your order to Ruth F. Baker 316 Oak Tree Rd.
Manheim, Pennsylvania 17545-9403. The cost is 16.95 + 3.00 shipping.
In the last Newsletter there was something in it about a Ezra T. Yoder family
reunion. I was happy to see that I e-mail Dan T. Yoder and have heard from him a couple
time. It was hard to get the information on that family.

I must run now. Ruth Baker

P.S. The book is hard cover with 286 pages.

Here are the YR YR2 Christian Yoder, YR25 John Yoder, YR253 Jacob Yoder
YR2539 Solomon Yoder, YR25393 Samuel K. Yoder My great-grandfather #1

YR2, YR25, YR253, YR2536, Nickolas Yoder, YR25362 Jonathan N. Yoder
great-grandfather #2

YR2, YR26 Yost Yoder, YR267 David Yoder, YR2673 Yost Yoder, YR26735 Eli Z. Yoder
great-grandfather #3

Ruth

From: "Donald D. Kauffman" <dkauffma@telusvelocity.net>
Subject: [YODER] Mennobit Website

The new "mennobit" website is alive and well at the address/URL below, and
now includes about 1360 obituaries from the Gospel Herald, mostly from the
1920s and 1930s. Included in that number are 51 obituaries for people with
the surname YODER, YORDY, and YOTHERS. If your ancestors lived in the Amish,
Amish-Mennonite, or Mennonite communities it might be worth a look.

The goal of the 53kMO (53,000 Mennonite Obituaries) project is to publish
on-line all of the approx. 53,000 obituaries that were printed in the Gospel
Herald in the years 1908-1998. Transcribers are at work, more names are
being added weekly. You could help by becoming a volunteer transcriber.

include your mailing address. Tell me you want to help type up or OCR-scan
some of these obits. You can do one issue (2 to 24 obits), one month, one
year, or whatever you figure you can handle. If you have access to the
magazines let me know what you will be working at, I will tell you if
someone is already doing that part, or you can check the "Status" page on
the website for more information. If you don't have access to the magazines
I will mail you photocopies.

If you tell me you are volunteering because you read about this project
through the YODER-L list I will make sure that whatever I send you includes
at least one YODER obituary. In this way we will speed up the rate at which
the Yoder obits come on line. (There are about 1,900 Yoder obits in the
complete collection! --- 1,850 still to be done.)

Again -- Do NOT respond to this message in the YODER-L list, send me a
private email. (dkauffma@telusvelocity.net)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all ... good transcribing!

From: ChrisYoder <cyoder@mail.tds.net>
Subject: [YODER] Three New Yoder Censuses Added

Yoder Webwonder Don Kauffman has added three new census
files to the homepage:

Missouri-- 1880 and 1900

Illinois-- 1880

Theres can be accessed at:

http://www.yodernewsletter.org/census.html

Or the files can be ftp'd as ASCII files from:

ftp://ftp.genealogy.org/pub/genealogy/surnames/YODER/

Best regards and Christmas Greetings to all!

Chris

Return to CONTENTS

Yoder Newsletter - © Christopher K. Yoder, 1992, 1994